Tuesday, September 02, 2008

We need more plies over here

Ye gods, I can't stop with the 3 ply! Everything must be 3 ply! Don't get me wrong, 2 ply has been good to me, and I have no intentions of abandoning it. But oh, 3 ply, you make me weak in the knees (which, ironically, has nothing to do with the fact that 3 ply is more work than 2 ply).

fck swm sent fiber
I started with this fiber. Does it look familiar? It did to me too, and it suddenly hit me that I spun a yarn very similar colorway from the same seller earlier this year. Apparently this color combo calls to me in some mysterious way. Who knew I was such a fan of purple? Certainly not I.

fck swm sent swirl
Fiber: FatCatKnits 100% superwash merino, "Sentinel"
3 ply
356 yards
109 grams

fck swm strands macro
It does look smashing as a 3 ply, though, and I'm thoroughly happy with it. The fiber was absolutely lovely—probably the best superwash merino I've spun thus far. The resulting yarn is a very squishy heavy fingering weight and would make a killer pair of socks.

Next up is a yarn I spun over Labor Day weekend. I started spinning on Friday evening and plied the yarn on Monday morning.

yp m pat swirl2
Fiber: YarnPig 100% merino, "Patina"
3 ply
400 yards
100 grams

yp m pat strands macro
This yarn certainly exceeded my expectations! My friend Bea (aka, YarnPig) dyed the fiber as part of an exchange we did several months ago. She let me choose from several rovings she had dyed, and I was immediately drawn to this one. Bea did warn me that she thought the fiber might be a bit felted, but I liked the colors enough to chance it. It ended up being a great choice.

yp m pat skein macro
As it turned out, the fiber was not felted; in fact, it drafted quite easily. And those subtle colors—swoon! This one was hard to photograph. Depending on the light, it can look steely blue, earthy brown, or even greenish-gray. Very nice. The texture is lovely too. It has so much elasticity that I can practically hear it go "sproing." That's the kind of bounce you just can't get with superwash merino...at least, not with any superwash merino I've tried.

12 Comments:

At 9/2/08, 8:50 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Two plies, three plies - everything you come up with is fabulous!

 
At 9/3/08, 1:22 AM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

i have the same problem with 3ply!!! i want everything to be 3ply now - but i've been doing some 2plys in between to keep me sane. :) yours are beautiful no matter what you do!

 
At 9/3/08, 5:43 AM, Blogger Bea said...

I think both turned out really well. I have to say I don't recognize the stuff I dyed at all. Guess that is the amazing difference between yarn and fiber.

 
At 9/3/08, 5:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like you could use that last one with Shala. Enough for a vest. Or shawl with a few solid stripes.

 
At 9/3/08, 7:49 AM, Blogger Anya said...

Those are some beautiful 3-ply(s).

 
At 9/3/08, 8:10 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I've been feeling the 3-ply love lately too - it adds so much depth to the yarns! I really love the ones you've finished.

 
At 9/3/08, 7:41 PM, Blogger Edie said...

You were definitely born to spin. Absolutely beautiful.

 
At 9/4/08, 1:22 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Ye gads, you are a spinning machine! And what gorgeous creations you create at that! I'm in total love with the 3-ply. It's just too much fun. :)

 
At 9/4/08, 7:03 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Lovely colors! I think 3ply is great as it can be use for both socks & lace.

 
At 9/9/08, 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to leave a comment, but I've got to get a towel to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

 
At 9/10/08, 11:53 AM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

Mikki, I've been away from the blogs all summer (though I have snuck a peek or too at your yarn on Ravelry) but now that I'm back I see you're up to your usual gorgeous spinning. Love the FatCat best!

 
At 9/18/08, 12:12 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

I, for one, love the purply goodness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home