Sunday, September 21, 2008

Goodbye summer, hello autumn

The weather here in Texas is still decidedly summer-like, but I'm more than ready for autumn. Before moving here I had always lived in places where September meant the beginning of cooler weather, so being this warm at this time of year feels downright unnatural. My most recent spinning seems to reflect my desire for a change in season.

asu m op fiber
This first yarn is definitely summery. It makes me think of ripe peaches and raspberries. However, the orange tones definitely hint of coming autumn.

asu m op swirl
Fiber: All Spun Up 100% merino
3 ply
476 yards
118 grams
asu m op strands macro
I love how this yarn turned out. The colors came together quite nicely, and the yarn itself has an enormous amount of bounce. It's an all-around happy yarn.

The next yarn is spun from a more autumnal palette, although I can't help thinking of Mardi Gras when I see these colors together. (A friend looked at the yarn and called it, "Mardi Gras in the forest." Very apropos.)

cw mc fiber
Fiber: Copperpot Woolies 100% merino, "Mulled Cider"
3 ply
376 yards
115 grams

cw mc skein
I do love the colors, but I'm not completely happy with this yarn. Somehow I managed to overspin it. Thinking about it now, I'm not quite sure how I did it. After all, I've spun a boatload of merino, and I spun this using the same ratios I normally use for fine wool. Perhaps the fact that this wool is a carded prep rather than my usual combed top made the difference. It's good to have these reminders about how much I have yet to learn about spinning.

The yarn itself is perfectly usable, but it doesn't quite have the soft loftiness and bounce I'm used to from merino. It's rather sturdy. Still, it would probably make a reasonably hard-wearing pair of socks.

cw mc messy
Believe it or not, I have started picking up my knitting needles more frequently of late. I should actually have some finished knitting to show within a week. Yes, I'm rather shocked about it myself.

9 Comments:

At 9/21/08, 4:42 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Both of them absolutely luscious to the eye. You *are* bringing them to Knit Night on Tuesday, right?

 
At 9/21/08, 5:21 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Both of them are very beautiful.

 
At 9/21/08, 5:52 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

Very pretty! I can't wait to see them up close and personal!

 
At 9/22/08, 9:29 AM, Blogger Dave said...

They're both lovely, although I prefer the happier colours in the first one, and it does look fluffier, which makes me wonder how you got 100 yards more from basically the same weight and made it fluffier. I'm just beginning to spindle, so that may be a totally stupid question. If so, I apologize in advance. :-)

 
At 9/22/08, 5:44 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Yummy! That first one is so vibrant and gorgeous - I like the second one as a tough sock yarn - ah, knitting....my old friend;)

 
At 9/23/08, 7:16 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Picking up the needles again? Can't wait to see what you're up to. That first skein of yarn is just gorgeous.

I spoke a bit too soon about fall last week -- it made it up to 80 yesterday.

 
At 9/23/08, 12:16 PM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

oh what 3ply gorgeousness!!! wow, i didn't think carded vs. combed would make that much of a difference! but of course you can't really tell it's overspun, at least from the pics.

 
At 9/30/08, 3:28 PM, Blogger Opal said...

As usual, gorgeous gorgeous yarn. Knitting? Did you say knitting? Oh fun!

 
At 10/14/08, 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure wish I lived close to you so I could see all of these in person. Or .. maybe touch-vision needs to happen with computer monitors.

Lovely as always.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home