Friday, December 22, 2006

Lesson learned

So maybe posting a lukewarm book review and then offering up a copy of said book as a contest prize wasn't my brightest idea. Reading back, I see that my review may have come across as a bit harsh. (Note to self: refrain from using the word "yargh" in a book review. The statement about the dog sweater was probably due to my dislike of dog sweaters in general.) I do like the book enough to keep one copy in my library; I just don't need two copies. Honestly, I wouldn't dream of trying to fob off second rate goods on you fine people! Besides, my opinion of the book seems to be in the minority.

The contest will still be open through January 2nd. And yes, the winner will receive some yarn in addition to the book. It'll probably be sock yarn, if that's any incentive.

1.5 socks with tea

The Trekking socks are still in progress. Work slowed somewhat due to some discussions about fit I had with the Professor. Apparently he likes his socks to fit a bit more loosely than I like mine, resulting in some minor frogging. At any rate, these will be finished tonight. He already loves them. So do I.

We're heading to Colorado to spend a few days with the Professor's side of the family...that is, if we're able to fly into DIA on Sunday. The main reason for the visit is to celebrate his parents' 45th wedding anniversary on the 27th. Forty-five years! I want to be like them when I grow up.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what knitting to take with me. I've been longing to dig into this yarn ever since I got it.

Fearless Fibers superwash merino sock yarn, Brick House colorway
(it's a warmer red than shown here)


Oh yes. My fingers are actually twitching with anticipation. This is going to be good.

3 Comments:

At 12/22/06, 3:42 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

I appreciate honesty in book reviews, so I was pleased to see your genuine reflections on the book. I reviewed a book on my blog a while ago, and I wrote a more positive review than it probably deserved. The author ended up reading my review and leaving a comment! I'm glad not to have offended her, but she probably would have benefited from a little more honest criticism.

Merry Christmas, and enjoy Denver if you can get there!

 
At 12/22/06, 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMO, your review was accurate. For some months, I watched the book on Amazon, because there was a need for a knitter-oriented book on crochet. When it was finally published, I broke my own rules, and ordered it sight unseen, because I wanted to qualify an order for free shipping.

When the book arrived, it didn't live up to the pre-publication hype. It's a nice book, but I wouldn't have purchased it if I'd seen it in a bookstore first. What I wanted was a book with more emphasis on adding crochet to knitted garments. For example, I was expecting more ideas for interesting crocheted edgings.

BTW, I received some "Brick House" in today's mail, and am--as usual--just blown away by how beautiful the Fearless Fibers colors are.

 
At 12/25/06, 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stopped by to wish you a wonderful, peaceful Christmas and a fabulous New Year!

And what a happy treat to visit and find photos of one of my yarns in its new home! An added treat for me on this Christmas day. Thanks so much for posting it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home