Friday, January 26, 2007

It's all in the perspective

I don't have much progress to report on the Gentleman's Fancy Sock. Since my last post, I've only turned the heel and completed the gusset.

sock = 10 stitches per inch

The photo doesn't accurately represent how drop-dead gorgeous this
yarn is. Trust me, it's positively luminous. It's too bad these socks aren't for me.

Lest you think I've been a complete knitting slacker, I'll show you what else I've been working on. Yesterday I finally cast on the back of my new sweater.

sweater = 3.75 stitches per inch

Yes, it's the Urban Aran from Patons' "
Street Smart" leaflet. (Here's where I bought my copy.) Ever since I saw Jared's stunning rendition, I've been longing to knit this sweater. Like Jared (and several others), I'll be making this into a zippered cardigan. Since it's knit in chunky yarn, I'll likely treat it more like a jacket than an indoor sweater. I live in Texas, after all.

It's been quite a while since I had two knitting projects going at once, and switching between them has been, well, interesting. When I switch from the sweater to the sock, it feels like I'm using long pins to knit sewing thread. Then when I switch back to the sweater, I feel as if I'm knitting thick rope with a couple of broomsticks.

The contrast reinforces how much I prefer knitting with finer yarns. I'm certainly enjoying knitting the Urban Aran so far, but working with the big yarn and needles makes me feel a bit awkward. All my movements seem exaggerated. On the upside, I can make a lot of progress in a short amount of time.

4 Comments:

At 1/26/07, 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You knit so beautifully, you make me think--for a fleeting moment--that I'd like to try something in chunky yarn, too. :-) The Gentleman's sock is more to my yarn preferences, and it looks gorgeous in your photo. Having seen Deb's work, I believe you, when you say that the colors are luminous. I'll have to try this pattern for some FF socks for myself.

 
At 1/26/07, 6:17 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Why oh why don't I have any money for more FF yarn? I LOVE that colorway & it works perfectly for the pattern!

What colorway are you using for your Urban Aran? It's beautiful!!!

 
At 1/26/07, 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm knitting from Vintage Socks as well. I am knitting the Fancy Silk sock for my mom, however the yarn I am using is not as nice as yours.

I am intrigued by the start of Urban Aran, it looks tempting! I'm going to check out the pattern.

 
At 6/5/23, 4:38 PM, Anonymous Charcuterie Recipes said...

Great readingg your blog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home