Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A little of this, a little of that

I swatched for my sweater, and like a good girl, I washed and blocked the swatch before checking my final gauge. It's a good thing too, because before washing my gauge was spot-on with 6.50 mm needles. After washing and blocking, my gauge was perfect with 6.00 mm needles. Let this be a lesson to me.

This is Elann's Peruvian Highland Chunky in Spiced Wine. The color is a bit unusual. It has blue and yellow fibers running through it, so in some lights it looks warm and rusty, and in other lights it looks cooler and almost pinkish. The cloudy day photo above shows the latter situation. In any case, I like it. I'll make y'all wait a day or two before I disclose what pattern I'm making. There's a good chance you can figure it out based upon my yarn choice.

Moving on... Because my last socks were slightly disappointing, I decided to go for a sure thing with my next pair.

It's the Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. The yarn is my beloved Fearless Fibers superwash merino sock in the Deepest Forest colorway. Yes, I'm knitting these socks in a colorway very similar to the one pictured in the book. It was totally unplanned; I chose the yarn before the pattern.

In other news, the Professor and I finally booked plane tickets for our (very) belated honeymoon. New Zealand, here we come! You know what they have in New Zealand, don't you?

There's breathtaking scenery, to be sure. The Professor thinks this is the only reason we're going. Little does he know he's also in for a lot of this.

Well, I suppose he knows now.

3 Comments:

At 1/24/07, 6:20 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

So wise of you to swatch first! I MUST remember to do that on my future sweaters. I'm so impatient though it's hard not to just jump right into knitting projects.

I LOVE that Fearless Fibers colorway! I bet my hubby may even like it too. I've seen so many great patterns from Nancy Bush's book that I'm probably going to have to add that one to my list!

DH & I never got a honeymoon, we got a house instead. We've tried to make up for it every year by taking an anniversary trip, but nothing as fab as a trip to New Zealand! WOW!! Have fun!

 
At 1/24/07, 6:36 PM, Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

I thought they had Hobbits in New Zealand!

 
At 1/25/07, 9:05 AM, Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh, those socks look so nice. i have a skein of FF to make socks for my brother. i'll have to check out this pattern. thanks for the inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home