Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Brace yourselves for actual knitting

Although I claim to be a knitter and crocheter, lately this has turned into a complete spinning blog. (Actually, I'm not sure I've ever blogged about crocheting, except for my infamous knitting vs. crochet yarn consumption experiment. Hmm, maybe I need to start a crochet project...) Apparently I'm not much of a multi-tasker.

In any case, I come to you today with actual proof that I do still knit. I give you Exhibit A:

hs ur socks done
Pattern: Undulating Rib Socks by Ann Budd (from IK's Favorite Socks)
Yarn: my own handspun (100% merino)
Needles: 1.50 mm DPNs (US 000)

hs ur socks macro
Even though I've spun approximately 35 skeins of yarn, this is only the second time I've actually knit with my own handspun. I really need to slow down with the spinning slightly, because knitting with handspun is just plain awesome. Awesome, I tell you!

And yes, I did knit these on 1.5 mm needles at approximately 11 stitches per inch. Why? Well, the yarn was fairly fine to begin with, although still very much a fingering weight. Also, this wool is not superwash, and I figure tightly knit socks are less likely to felt than loosely knit socks. Most importantly, though, is that I want these socks to last. After all, I took all the trouble to spin and knit them, so I want the Professor to get lots of good wear out of them. (I've warned him repeatedly about the washing machine too.)

hs ur socks inside
This is actually the second time I've knit this pattern (well, sort of), but I think this pattern is really fantastic for self-striping handspun yarns. My friend Angeluna knitted a pair from Sock Hop last year, and I have admired them ever since. So when I was trying to decide on a suitable sock pattern for handspun, this one immediately came to mind.

The other thing I like about this pattern? It looks good on both sides. The photo above shows the wrong side, and the following photo gives a side-by-side view of the right and wrong sides. Both look great, and it's a good thing too. The Professor sometimes can't tell whether his handknit socks are inside out.

hs ur socks compare
With this project complete, I've been fantasizing about bigger knitting projects—namely, sweaters. Even though I haven't knit many sweaters, I do have sweater quantities of yarn in the stash. Time to dig in, I think.

16 Comments:

At 9/30/08, 7:26 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Holy cow, those are gorgeous! I love the colors, the pattern, and the handspun goodness.

Sounds like fall's the time to knit up some of that glorious handspun.

 
At 9/30/08, 9:17 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

It's so wonderful that you not only knit those socks, but you spun the yarn, too. Very impressive. Love the color.

 
At 9/30/08, 10:51 PM, Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Wow! I'm in awe. You're officially my new source of inspiration. Seriously.

 
At 10/1/08, 2:42 AM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

GORGEOUS! Yep, handspun socks ARE the best!!!

 
At 10/1/08, 3:37 AM, Blogger bookgrump said...

Gorgeous! Well worth the extra effort of the teeny tiny stitches!

 
At 10/1/08, 4:27 AM, Blogger Opal said...

Those socks are fabulous!

 
At 10/1/08, 9:10 AM, Blogger knottygnome said...

those are really gorgeous socks! love your handspun and the pattern is perfect with the yarn.

 
At 10/1/08, 9:18 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Wow, those came out beautifully! That is a perfect pattern for yarns that stripe ... must remember that. Love that colourway!

 
At 10/1/08, 3:48 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - these are so gorgeous - and your own handspun - what a treasure!

 
At 10/2/08, 8:42 AM, Blogger Donna said...

These are delicious - I'm looking forward to spinning my own sock yarn someday; thanks for inspiring me.

 
At 10/2/08, 9:09 AM, Blogger Edie said...

they are beautiful. I hope the professor will get many years of use out of them.

 
At 10/4/08, 3:09 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

gorgeous sppinning and knitting... your handspun looks like commercial yarn.... I was reading back through some of your older posts and looking at your spinning I agree whole heartedly 3ply is definitely nicer than 2ply and so much nicer to knit with...

 
At 10/9/08, 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)
Thank you...
♥♥♥ I love you! ♥♥♥

 
At 10/12/08, 8:27 PM, Blogger Ann said...

The socks are gorgeous & I love the colors. It's so great to be able to knit with your own handspun.

 
At 10/14/08, 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooohhhh ... pretty! That pattern is so wonderful to show off your gorgeous handspun.

 
At 10/24/08, 2:18 AM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

These socks are so cool, I found myself thinking I've got to knit these soon. And then I read 11 stitches per inch and I changed my mind. Not superwash...you are crazy! Or very confident in your family laundry skills!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home