Thursday, January 22, 2009

Going quietly about my business

I finished some socks, and I could not be happier with them.

cmf swm wac socks done
Yarn: my own handspun (Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino, "We Are the Champions")
Plain stockinette sock over 64 stitches
2.00 mm needles

cmf swm wac socks macro
I had forgotten how quickly plain socks knit up! At some point I think I convinced myself that I needed lots of patterning in order to keep myself entertained, but these socks have completely quashed that notion. I loved every second of knitting these. My sock mojo seems to be back.

I also plied the bobbin of Targhee from my last post.

sgw t hc swirl
Fiber: Sweet Grass Wool Targhee, "Hidden Canyon"
Navajo/chain ply
610 yards
110 grams

Ah Targhee, how I love thee! This wool has serious bounce. It spins up a lot like merino, but it's more elastic. If you've been with me for a while, this colorway might look familiar. I spun up another skein of it last April and subsequently sent the yarn to its new home with Peaknit. This new skein came out a little finer than I had intended, but I'm sure I'll think of something to do with it.

And last but not least, here is round three of the All Spun Up spin-along.

asu sal3 swma fiber
This time the fiber is 70% superwash merino, 30% alpaca. This particular colorway is nearly impossible to photograph accurately. In real life the fiber is a fair bit darker than the above photo. Anyhoo, I have spun up half of the fiber into this:

asu sal3 skein
3 ply
420 yards
111 grams

I really don't think Kristin is capable of producing a bad colorway, and this skein is further evidence in support of my theory. Rest assured, though, that I will continue to subject this theory to rigorous testing.

14 Comments:

At 1/22/09, 8:46 PM, Blogger Walden said...

Wonderful spinning and the socks look lovely!

 
At 1/22/09, 9:59 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Such inspirational photos. Those socks are so gorgeous. Love the colorway.

 
At 1/22/09, 11:54 PM, Blogger Opal said...

everything is just so gorgeous! but what really caught my eye is the spin-along yarn and roving. the yarn looks so different from the roving! not in a bad way though. i agree with you when you say kristen is incapable of producing a bad colorway. i also agree that we should subject this theory to rigorous testing.

btw, thanks for turning me on to another crack dealer /cough .. i mean to sweet grass wool!

 
At 1/23/09, 12:43 AM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous socks. Gorgeous.

And that roving colorway is fantastic. The blue disappears in the spinning. How interesting.

 
At 1/23/09, 4:48 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I *thought* those first socks would garner a comment/compliment from Angeluna! Those are certainly her colors. Beautiful socks, as always.

Long time no see! Maybe next Knit Night?

 
At 1/23/09, 5:43 AM, Blogger Bea said...

Everything is gorgeous. Love those socks!

 
At 1/23/09, 6:49 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

fabulous yarns as always... think the socks look stunning, I will get me some CMF fibre at some point.... I love your navajo plying it's so even...

 
At 1/23/09, 10:55 AM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

all of it so yummy! and i just love plain socks, just because i get them DONE!!! :) and you are right, it is not possible for kristin to create a bad colorway!!

 
At 1/24/09, 10:08 AM, Blogger mle said...

Oh! those colors are just to die for!

 
At 1/25/09, 7:01 AM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I have to admit, I come here just to look at your pictures! Okay...I do go back and read what you wrote! But I love to just look at all your gorgeous work! Fun socks! Really shows the colors!

 
At 1/25/09, 7:48 AM, Blogger stephanie said...

The socks are beautiful, and so is all of the fiber. You know, if you ever find you have too much yarn, I'd be happy to take some off your hands! (jk, but it is gorgeous)

 
At 1/25/09, 9:30 AM, Blogger Lone Knitter said...

You continue to inspire me. The socks and spinning are beautiful. I always prefer knitting and wearing "plain" socks. I think handspun shows off nicely when they're knit plain-jane style.

 
At 1/26/09, 2:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful handspun. Great job!

 
At 2/2/09, 7:11 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Your spinning is lovely - it makes me want to spin my own yarn as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home