Monday, November 24, 2008

Spinning along

I have never been much of a joiner. In fact, I'm downright unsociable in many ways. However, sometimes I can't resist following the crowd. Case in point: the second All Spun Up spin along. I had such a lovely time spinning up the fiber in the first round that I absolutely could not miss the second. This time the fiber was superfine merino, and the colorway perfectly captures the beauty of autumn.

asu sal2 fiber
Naturally I signed up for a double dose (8 oz.), and I planned to spin it up as 3 ply (because apparently that's the only trick in my bag these days). However, a number of the SAL participants were Navajo plying theirs, and I was charmed by the results they were getting. What's a girl to do? Spin it up both ways, of course.

asu sal2 3p strands
3 ply
458 yards
119 grams

asu sal2 np strands
Navajo (chain) plied
388 yards
120 grams

asu sal2 swirls
Since I had no immediate plans for the yarn, it didn't bother me in the least that the skeins would not match. What does have me perplexed is the difference in yardages. I thought I had spun the singles at the same thickness, but clearly I did not. Oh well. It's all a learning experience.

Thanks to all who left comments and sent emails full of good birthday wishes. It was a lovely birthday. The Professor surprised me with a wonderful fiber-related gift.

skein winder
I have a skein winder at last! This one is the 2-yard manual version from Crazy Monkey. It's quite sturdy and thoughtfully designed. The only thing it's lacking is a rotation counter, but the Professor has procured one for me. What a nice man he is. Of course, it may be that he simply was tired of listening to me curse at my niddy noddy.

There are still a few hours left to enter my birthday giveaway! See the previous post.

13 Comments:

At 11/24/08, 9:32 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

I want to try navajo plying with my second handspun, but I think I should get a tensioned kate first.

That is an amazing gift!! The Professor made a lovely choice. Some of my fingers went numb when I was using the niddy noddy.

 
At 11/24/08, 10:12 PM, Blogger jen said...

What a lovely skein winder! My hand gets a terrible cramp using the niddy noddy. Sounds like a great birthday gift.

You make such lovely yarn.... I've attempted N-ply but just can't get it right. -yet.

 
At 11/24/08, 11:03 PM, Blogger Opal said...

oh i can't believe i missed the second spin along! silly me. :)

that yarn is beautifully spun. as always! and what a gorgeous skein winder. i have some serious gadget envy going on here. :)

 
At 11/25/08, 7:33 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

the spinning is beautiful as always and I'm surprised how differently they look just because the of the way they're plied!

Your birthday gift is lovely and you have a very thoughtful prof there...

 
At 11/25/08, 8:47 AM, Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Just stumbled on your blog, and I am blown away by your spinning. I never thought I'd be interested until now ...

 
At 11/25/08, 8:58 AM, Blogger mle said...

Nice skein winder!! now you'll have more time to spin! LOL! the yarn is gorgeous!

 
At 11/25/08, 10:05 AM, Blogger Aisling said...

What a great gift! And your yarn, yummy.

 
At 11/25/08, 11:47 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Lovely spinning, as usual. :-)

It's interesting to see the difference between the regular 3-ply and the Navajo plied. There aren't as many long runs of colour as I expected, but I guess that would depend on how long you make the chains. Interesting difference on yardage; is the WPI the same?

After fighting with my niddy noddy this past weekend, your winder makes me jealous. LOL!

 
At 11/25/08, 7:20 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Very very pretty. I love how they came out.

 
At 11/26/08, 6:29 AM, Blogger bookgrump said...

Sorry that I missed your birthday! Happy Belated Birthday!

I LOVE the handspun. It's interesting how the color varied, but they're both beautiful.

Bless the Professor for being so generous. You must be in spinning heaven now! So what is he getting you for Christmas?

 
At 11/26/08, 3:12 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Fascinating how different the two skeins are. Wow! Can't wait to "feel" them.

That is some skein winder! Good for you.

 
At 11/26/08, 7:40 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I need to get on my All Spun Up - yours is gorgeous!!! And that yarn winder - nice job to the hubster!

 
At 11/28/08, 5:11 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Lovely colors & you are doing so great in spinning. That's a great present!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home