Thursday, February 22, 2007

In which I discuss my shortcomings as a knitter

The good news: The collar on the Urban Aran is coming along quite nicely. Picking up stitches is never as much of an ordeal as I expect it to be.

The bad news: The sleeves are too long. Too. Freaking. Long. They grew more during washing than I expected them to, and well, I may have made them a bit longer than directed in the first place. Although I am somewhat short in stature, I have freakishly long monkey arms. Sleeves are usually too short on me, so I knitted an extra inch into the Urban Aran sleeves without a second thought. Thus, the knitting gods smote me down for being presumptuous.

Yesterday I was too sick at heart to start ripping out my sleeve caps, so I started on a new sock.

The pattern is Charlene Schurch's Ripple Weave Socks from the Fall 2006 Vogue Knitting. With all the twisted stitches, this pattern strongly reminds me of Pomatomus, and I suppose that's why I selected it. There is a rather glaring error in Row 3 of the pattern chart. Yeah, it was really glaring after I knitted through Row 4, then realized there was something strange going on. The error truly is obvious just by looking at the chart, but clearly I am not observant enough. VK is not observant either, as there is still no correction for the chart on their errata page. I found out later that the error is, however, well documented in the blogosphere.

On a happy note, the responses to the "I am Spartacus" contest have given me a chronic case of the giggles! I may never be able to watch that film again without imagining all the rebel slaves wearing colorful socks with their sandals.

4 Comments:

At 2/22/07, 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation, when I make those socks--and I want to now that I've seen yours--I'll probably knit right along with the erroneous chart and have to rip, too, even after being warned about the error. :-)

Your Spartacus contest is indeed a hoot!

 
At 2/23/07, 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What yarn are you using for the socks? It's gorgeous!

Also, could you get away with cutting off the bottom inch of the sleeves, rather than reknitting them? I guess that would make them a bit wider at the bottom, but reknitting them sounds like no fun.

 
At 2/23/07, 6:53 AM, Blogger OLPP said...

By the way, why are we all Spartacus?
And your sweater is just lovely. I, too, thought the sock looked pomatomosly. Right.
:)

 
At 2/26/07, 11:17 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Ahh... the knitting gods. Oh how I know them well (and how well they know me!) The sweater does look so great though... wow!

That DOES look similar to Pomatomus. Thanks for reminding me to always check for errata when starting a pattern. That would probably save me a bit of grief!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home