Thursday, April 12, 2007

Deviations from the plan

I think it's safe to say that this week has not gone according to plan. A few examples:

(1) I did not start my new job this week. Apparently the paperwork wasn't finished in time. However, I was not informed of the change in my start date last week, so I showed up to the office on Monday. Nobody knew what to do with me. On the bright side, it was an opportunity to do a little traffic reconnaissance. We'll try it again next Monday.

(2) Remember that gaping hole in my bathroom ceiling? It's still there. Let's see, it took two days for the maintenance staff to figure out where the water was coming from. Then it took another week for the manager to get an HVAC company out to fix the problem. The a/c unit finally got fixed today. Now they just need to patch up that ceiling. Any bets on how long that will take?

(3) This sock is not quite living up to my expectations.

It looks fine, right? Really, I shouldn't be complaining. The pattern is perfectly written, and I love the orangey goodness of the yarn. It's a fun knit. There is one small detail, however, that's starting to make my left eye twitch.

Do you see it? OK, so maybe it isn't as obvious in the photo as it is in real life.

How about now? There are black splotches in the yarn! At first I thought the dyer must have added them intentionally, but now I'm thinking otherwise. They just aren't regular enough. I'm about to knit the toe on the first sock, and there hasn't been a black splotch for many, many rounds. The worst concentration of spots is on one side of the heel.

I'm sure I'm overreacting. Honestly, how many people are going to scrutinize these socks closely enough to notice the spots? That's what I'm trying to tell myself, but my obsessive-compulsive personality isn't buying it. Then again, my OCD is not strong enough to make me cut out all the black spots, so really, what am I complaining about?

6 Comments:

At 4/12/07, 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sock is beautiful! The spots aren't noticeable in the photo, because of the holes in the lace. If they really get to you, why not duplicate stitch over them? Personally, I wouldn't bother--after all, they're just socks!

 
At 4/12/07, 6:48 PM, Blogger TECHknitter said...

I second Lynne. These are VERY nice socks.

Also, if you REALLY had OCD, you'd have to call it CDO--(that's the same letters in alphabetical order...)

 
At 4/12/07, 7:25 PM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Oh, I like the few black stitches here and there... not spots, stitches! They're cute! The yarn looks great knit up as Monkeys. But I am OCD about ANY pooling at all, so I understand when you're knitting something and some aspect of the most beautiful yarn ever is annoying you.

 
At 4/13/07, 1:37 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

What sock yarn is that? Seems like the dyer accidentally "spilled" a black dot and hoped you wouldn't notice? I didn't notice though until you pointed it out.

I love the pattern in that colorway though. You're really booking right along on socks knitting lately.

 
At 4/14/07, 12:33 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

I think the socks look great! Even after you highlighted the black stitches, I could barely see them. You're not going to be the one wearing these, after all, but I can see how you want the knitting to be a pleasant experience.

Hopefully your new office will be all set for you to start on Monday. Good luck!

 
At 10/12/11, 1:06 AM, Anonymous hassam said...

kepp it up nice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home