Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A disaster, a new hope, and some knitting

The disaster relates to my downstairs bathroom ceiling. This is its current state.

Take cover!

At times like this I'm glad I'm still a renter. Apparently there's a condensation leak from the air conditioner (don't ask why we're already running the a/c). The ceiling went from normal looking to this in under 24 hours. There's already been one attempt to fix the leak. Today will be Attempt #2. The maintenance man has yet to show up, though.

The new hope is that, well, I've landed a job. Assuming all the paperwork gets done by Friday, I'll be starting on Monday. Having been unemployed for more than six months—by far the longest stretch of unemployment in my adult life—I am relieved. I think this job will be a good fit for me. Ignoring the fact that it has nothing to do with yarn, I don't think I could ask for more from this situation. While I will miss my "freedom" to a certain extent, I'm happy that I will be contributing financially to the household once again. (That's code for "I will be able to buy more yarn.") Besides, there's a lot to be said for having a reason to get out of the house every day.

That's about all I'm going to say about the job. I do not wish to get dooced.

Also, I'd like to apologize in advance for any interruptions in blogging that may result from the aforementioned job.

On with the knitting. I had some difficulty choosing a pattern for my niece's socks. Since she's got skinny little girl legs, I thought some kind of ribbing would be in order. So I started on the Madder Ribbed Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks. The pattern seemed too plain for my niece, so I ripped it out. Finally I settled upon this.

Attempting to channel Nancy Bush.

It's Conwy from Knitting on the Road. This pattern has the required ribbing, but it also has the added interest of some texture. So far I like it, but that's no guarantee I won't change my mind again. Luckily this yarn holds up to frogging like a champ.

2 Comments:

At 4/3/07, 6:51 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Oh no! The ceiling situation looks pretty crappy. I'm pretty darn happy that we're still renting for now when I hear about all the unexpected expenses that some up with home ownership (e.g. my friend needs to spend $3-4k to have a few concrete steps built by her back door). We could handle a down payment and mortgage payments, but anything beyond that would be very challenging. Owning a home can wait until I'm done with school and gainfully employed.

Congratulations on the new job, and the sock looks beautiful.

 
At 4/3/07, 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eek, that ceiling looks really, really bad. Congrats on the job! Looking for work is No Fun.

And I really like that stitch pattern. I really need to buy Knitting on the Road, there's lots of good patterns in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home