Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Overcoming my resistance to pink

I'll admit it, I've never liked pink much. It's just so girly. Despite the fact that I am female, I don't consider myself to be girly. So why is it that I like these socks so much?

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly want to wear them. (They do fit me, though.) I just enjoy looking at them. It's probably because the colors are so different from what I usually knit.

Pattern: Conwy, from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush
Yarn: Smoky Mountain Fibers superwash sock yarn (75% wool, 25% nylon) in the Rosewood colorway
Needles: size 1 DPNs
Modifications: I didn't do the calf shaping. (My niece is a skinny seven-year-old who has no need for calf shaping...yet.) Also, I changed the round toe to my favorite wedge toe.

By the second sock, I was finding the pattern to be a bit tedious. I'm glad I slogged through it, though, because I love the end result. It helped that the yarn was lovely to knit with—soft and not at all splitty. There were some minor pooling issues, but nothing I found objectionable.

Look how well these socks coordinate with the bottle of wool wash.

Have I mentioned how much I love Soak? The bottle pictured above is a so-called limited edition scent named "a scent for celebration." It's warm and almost fruity (my nose detects peaches). However, my favorite flavor of Soak is actually aquae. I have to resist the urge to dab it behind my ears. Performance-wise, Soak seems to clean as well as Eucalan. About the only negative thing I can say about it is that it's pricey—about 50% more than Eucalan.

Next up, orange socks. It's all about color these days at T4SHQ.

8 Comments:

At 4/10/07, 2:47 PM, Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Those are gorgeous!!

 
At 4/10/07, 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like pink because women are expected to like pink, but I love your socks! Hot pink, fuchsia, multicolor pink--all of these are pinks that real women can enjoy wearing. Also, your beautiful knitting overcomes any residual pinkness. :-)

 
At 4/10/07, 5:43 PM, Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

Beautiful socks! They're not a really girly pink, what with all those oranges and purples adding depth to the mix. When I think of girly pink I think of unrelenting monochrome pinkness. Or pastel pink.

 
At 4/10/07, 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a pink fan either--never have been--but those are so well knit, it's no wonder you love them!

 
At 4/10/07, 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is seriously pretty - I love the orangey bits. I wish my feet were the same size as a 7 year olds!

 
At 4/11/07, 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi -It's AnneMarie from Smoky Mountain Fibers - I dyed that yarn. It's great to see it knitted up into such beautiful socks.

Funny, I'm not a pink person either, but I do love reds and orangey reds and coral and purple. So anything 'pink' is really light shades of those colors.

As a red-haired person, I was always told, redheads can't wear pink. I'm glad those rules are changing. I love to see little carrot-tops in pink and fuschia.

I have some 'girly pink' yarn on my etsy site now and some deeper rose and a similar color to 'rosewood' that I'll be putting up in the next day or so. There is also a beautiful multicolor blue yarn - same dye day. I called it New Spring because the sky was blue and the bulbs were popping up everywhere.

Thanks, Micki for showing off my yarn in the nicest way. I'd wear those socks any day!

AnneMarie
www.smokymountainfibers.etsy.com

 
At 4/13/07, 1:33 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

How in the world did I miss this post too? Those socks are absolutely gorgeous! REALLY! The yarn is gorgeous, the pattern is perfect .. WOW!

I have that same SOAK wash scent. I've not tried any of the others yet, but based on your recommnedation, I'll try the Aquae next. Thanks for mentioning it.

 
At 4/14/07, 9:44 AM, Blogger JenniferB said...

Hah, as someone who historically has been averse to pink, I was hesitant when I found out our second child was to be a girl. However...while she does have her share of lime green/black/orange/red/purple clothes, she also has a healthy dose of pink. I don't know what happened, except that she did not have much hair until recently (she just turned 2) and old people always thought she was a boy when she was in anything BUT pink and it got a little annoying. :) But right now I'm knitting a hot pink/orange dress for her--I don't know how you can get more girly than that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home