Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Finis

I apologize for waiting so long to post the final photos. There was a good reason for holding off. But without further ado, I present Print O' The Wave.

potw wings

Pattern: Print O' The Wave by Eunny Jang (PDF)
Yarn: Fearless Fibers Laceweight Merino, "Notorious," 3 skeins, approximately 1200 yards
Needles: Knit Picks size 4 (3.50 mm) circular and size 3 (3.25 mm) DPNs
Finished size: 25" by 74"
Modifications: Added two pattern repeats to each center panel (19 vs. 17). Picked up 272 stitches along each long edge.

potw wrapped

First, the pattern. It's lovely, but not without errors and and a little heartache. The errors are well-documented, so I won't dwell on them here, except to add that I think the first stitch of row 1 on Chart B should be slipped purlwise. To be honest, I can't understand why the PDF hasn't been updated. I understand that Eunny has an important new job, but really, it would take all of two minutes to correct the PDF. In any case, I just kept repeating the mantra, "Free pattern. Free pattern. Free pattern."

If I were to knit this again, I would probably leave off the last purl row of each center panel. There's a strip of stockinette down the center of the stole where the panels are grafted. It isn't all that noticeable, but it still bothered me a bit. Of course, another way to get around that is to knit the center panel in one piece. However, I chose to knit two panels because I like the way the pattern is mirrored out from the center.

potw wrap close

The picking up of stitches for the inner border was a monumental task, and probably unnecessary when it comes down to it. There's a very similar stole pattern in Victorian Lace Today that has no border stitches to pick up. (For those interested, it's the "large rectangle in leaf and trellis pattern with trellis border" on page 54.) But pick up stitches I did, and although I felt at the time that I did a rather half-arsed job of it, the final result looks just fine.

potw edge close

On to pleasanter subjects: the yarn. It's no secret that I'm a huge Fearless Fibers fan, and this laceweight merino did not disappoint. The yarn is so soft, and yet it's still pleasantly woolly (if that makes any sense). And the color—oh, the color! Rather than distracting from lace pattern, the subtle color variations add depth and richness. The photos really don't do it justice.

potw end close

I knit the center panels and the inner border on size 4 needles, but I switched to size 3 DPNs for the border. Why? Well, I didn't have any size 4 DPNs, that's why! I made an effort to knit extra loosely on the size 3s, and it worked out swimmingly. (I swear I could hear EZ in my head telling that needle size really doesn't matter that much.) If I were to knit this pattern again with the same yarn, though, I'd probably go up a needle size or two. This yarn is on the thicker side of laceweight, although it is definitely finer than fingering weight.

For Jeri: The center panels of the stole (minus the inner and outer borders) weighs 85 grams. The finished shawl weighs 163 grams. I have only 4 grams of my third skein left over.

Final verdict: Love it, love it, love it. (Consequently, I'm almost sad about giving it away.) I've been bitten by the lace bug.

potw back

Note on the photo shoot: It clouded up and became blustery just as the Professor and I stepped outside for these photos. Let me just say that it's extremely difficult to get good shots of an airy lace stole in the midst of a stiff breeze. I also got five mosquito bites in the 10 minutes it took to do these photos. Who knew modeling was so hazardous?

10 Comments:

At 7/24/07, 5:15 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

The professor did a fine job on the photos. Sorry that you had to suffer so for them. They were worth it though!

 
At 7/24/07, 10:26 PM, Blogger mle said...

Absolutely stunning! what a beautiful job you did and the color is just gorgeous! I'm sure the recipient will be completely thrilled and impressed.

 
At 7/25/07, 8:05 AM, Blogger knottygnome said...

it looks gorgeous and that subtle shading is to die for. you know, after reading about yours and others experience, i think i might just make the one in VLT instead.

 
At 7/25/07, 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty! And, um, you're giving it away? That will be one lucky recipient!

I hear you about the breeze, it seems like the wind kicks up every time I photograph lace. Why does mother nature hate the yo's?

 
At 7/26/07, 7:03 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

It looks gorgeous, Micki! Thanks for the tip about the stockinette areas, although I really couldn't tell from the photos.

I hadn't realized just how large it was until now. That's a LOT of knitting. :-)

 
At 7/26/07, 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's incredible! Love the color choice, too.

 
At 7/26/07, 10:25 PM, Blogger Jeri said...

Let me tell you, this lace is sooo nice in person. The pictures are good but in person... wow.
And thanks for the weights. There's lots of border but I wouldn't have thought it would be an almost equal amount of yarn in the borders vs the center sections.

 
At 7/27/07, 12:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's spectacularly gorgeous! But it's not for you!!!? Thanks for the great pictures and the tips on the pattern.

 
At 7/30/07, 2:19 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

OOHHH!! I'm so glad you were bit by the lace knitting bug because you're an absolutely beautiful lace knitter. What a wonderful gift!

Thanks for your input about the pattern. It looks lovely, but I think I may just stick with the VLT patterns for now.

 
At 8/8/07, 7:25 PM, Blogger Lara said...

It is absolutely beautiful! Fabulous job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home