Monday, March 02, 2009

First and second

I recently finished spinning up my first laceweight, and I must admit to being fairly pleased with myself, if only because I proved I still know how to do 2 ply.

ab m forest
This multicolored merino made its way into my stash when I first started spinning, but I could never figure out what I wanted to do with it. When I decided to try my hand at spinning laceweight, this was the first fiber that came to mind. I thought it would make a nice heathery yarn, and so it did.

ab m forest skein fiber
Fiber: Ashland Bay multicolor merino, "Forest"
2 ply
1600 yards
209 grams

asu m forest lace swirls
Since I normally spin sock yarn, I'm used to adding a lot of twist when I spin. I wanted this yarn to be softly spun, though, so I had to give it a little thought before I started. In the end I decided to back down one notch from my smallest (fastest) whorl and go for it, and I'll be damned if it didn't work. The yarn is soft and squishy. Is it perfect lace yarn? No, certainly not. Is it good enough for me? Oh yes. I will admit, however, that at certain points I didn't think I'd make it through all the plying. For the first time I wished for an electric spinner to help move things along.

I also got some socks off the needles last week.

bf a thel socks done
Pattern: Thelonious, by Cookie A.
Yarn: Brooks Farm Acero
Needles: 2.00 mm DPNs

bf a thel socks macro
This pattern is one of my all-time favorites. In fact, this is the second time I've knit it. Both times I made them for other people, and yet I would still like a pair for myself. Can I bring myself to knit the same pattern three times? The answer is probably "yes."

I'm still trying to get photos of the Professor's his birthday present, but confound the man, he keeps wearing it. (And he normally doesn't come home until well after dark—a terrible time for getting good photos.) I would really like to get shots with him modeling it, but he seems down on the idea. Still, he does read this blog, and if he sees comments from people stating how much they would like to see him wearing his birthday gift, he might succumb to peer pressure. It's an idea, anyway.

19 Comments:

At 3/2/09, 5:35 PM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

Are you crazy??? That IS perfect laceweight!!! GAH! And the socks are pretty too - I haven't done that pattern yet, although I haven't been knitting hardly at all! One of these days...

 
At 3/2/09, 6:16 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Those socks are gorgeous! I love the diagonal cable and its interplay with the ribbing.

I vote for a modeled shot. Come on, Professor! We'd love to see your birthday present in use.

 
At 3/2/09, 6:18 PM, Blogger Aisling said...

I would LOVE to see The Professor in his birthday present!!!

And the socks are awesome. And the yarn is awesome-er-er. Hoping to see it in person Wednesday, life is really unpredictable with the little people.

 
At 3/2/09, 6:40 PM, Blogger Walden said...

That laceweight is absolutely beautiful, the colors worked out so well. Congrats!

 
At 3/2/09, 11:29 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Wow, it's beautiful!

It would be nice to see the Professor's gift, but it will be way better if he modeled it. Do it for the blog!

 
At 3/3/09, 4:59 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Want to see the sweater, M. le professeur.

Thank you, Micki, for helping me figure out *which* Cookie A pattern I wanted to use for March Sockdown.

 
At 3/3/09, 5:48 AM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Lovely laceweight. Do you have a design in mind? 1600 yards should allow for almost anything.

And ladies, I've actually seen these socks and they are frickin' fantastic. Says she as she heads off to see if she already has the pattern or should download it immediately.

 
At 3/3/09, 6:58 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I love the heathery effect in that yarn. It almost looks like it would have come from a batt instead of a top. How did they prep that? Dye it and then card it? I've never seen one like that.

Love the socks. That pattern has been on my "to do" list ever since it came out.

Hey, prof: We Wanna See It. :-)

 
At 3/3/09, 8:14 AM, Blogger peaknits said...

That roving - gorgeous!! And the lace weight is beautiful, nice work! Those socks are breathtaking!

 
At 3/3/09, 9:37 AM, Blogger mle said...

Yes, yes! we want to see the professor's B-day present modeled! It's always nice to see knits in action.
And those socks are so gorgeous. Perfect pattern for sure!

 
At 3/3/09, 8:10 PM, Blogger jen said...

I'm again in awe of your spinning! That merino is quite unique as well. Is it when you were plying that you used the slower whorl? Your socks are beautiful as well -looks like a great pattern.

I'd love to see what the professor has on...

 
At 3/3/09, 10:03 PM, Blogger Bea said...

The socks are wonderful. Your laceweight is just gorgeous. And the professor should totally pose for a birthday gift shot.

 
At 3/4/09, 12:23 PM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

WOW to the laceweight... it's beautiful and I can't get over how that roving produced that gorgeous heathered yarn Mmmm....

the socks look great too, though I am enamoured of the lace yarn....

 
At 3/5/09, 2:42 PM, Blogger Opal said...

the laceweight is to die for. seriously gorgeous stuff.

your socks are beautiful!

 
At 3/6/09, 8:40 AM, Blogger TheDrollEclectic said...

Professor! We want to see you! We'll even allow for a below-the-chin photo if you must. Please indulge us with your wife's handiwork!

Micki, both socks and yarn get a one word commentary: drool.

 
At 3/8/09, 6:29 PM, Blogger Ann said...

The socks are gorgeous & I love the color. You have done a beautiful job.

 
At 3/11/09, 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. OK already.
I will pose so that all can view my Birthday Present; my Precious!

--the professor

 
At 3/15/09, 3:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Beautiful and beautiful!

 
At 3/18/09, 2:24 PM, Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Wow! I'm so in awe of your yardage. You're like the master spinner. It's beautiful. I know you'll make something lovely with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home