Monday, December 31, 2007

2007: Year of Socks

It's December 31st—time for the self-indulgent year-in-review post. It appears that I managed to finish 30 knitting projects in 2007, 23 of which were socks. Warm feet for everyone!

2007 knitting FOs
There were, of course, some notable non-sock projects: my first lace stole, an adorable baby sweater, a few scarves, my first adult sized sweater, and some pretty mitts. Item I'm most proud of? Print O' The Wave. Socks I wear the most often? Monkey (followed closely by Drunken Bees). Pattern I have no desire to knit again? Jaywalkers. (Socks I'm wearing right now? Jaywalkers. I am nothing if not contradictory.) 2007 will also remain notable in my memory as the year in which I learned to spin.

There is a pair of socks in the above collection I have not shown you before. These are the socks I gave the Professor for Christmas.

Dublin Bay Socks
Pattern: Dublin Bay Socks (PDF link) by Ryan Morrissey, Mossy Cottage Knits
Yarn: Socks That Rock lightweight, colorway "Lagoon"
Needles: U.S. size 0 (2.00 mm) DPNs
Modifications: Reduced stitch count to 64.

Dublin Bay Socks close
Although I initially started these socks with an allover lace pattern, it soon became clear that this yarn wanted to be something simpler. Enter the Dublin Bay Socks. The easy lace panels on the legs of these socks are a nice detail, and they allowed me to honor the Professor's previous request for "more socks with holes."

This was my first time knitting socks with Socks That Rock, and incidentally, it's also the first time I've ever worried about running out of yarn for a pair of socks. 360 yards cuts it pretty close. I had just about a gram of yarn left after knitting this pair for the Professor's size 7 feet. The socks look great, though, and they have the Professor's seal of approval.


Finally, I started on yet another pair of simple socks while we were in Colorado. At this point, it's unclear whether these will be my final FO of 2007, or my first FO of 2008. I think my sock trend will continue into 2008, but I do have some ideas for other projects jostling around inside my head too. Stay tuned.

felici progress
Happy New Year to all! Stay safe out there.

9 Comments:

At 12/31/07, 4:33 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

I love the Professor's socks! Fabulous colorway. Your socks are so inspiring. Maybe I can actually finish a pair in 2008.

Happy New Year!

 
At 1/1/08, 8:18 AM, Blogger bookgrump said...

You are so productive! Everything you do is so beautiful! Love the professor's socks! Yet another great job!

The new socks look fun too! You'll probably finish them today.

 
At 1/1/08, 10:26 AM, Blogger mle said...

Wow, 23 pairs of socks! that's impressive!

Happy New Year!

 
At 1/1/08, 7:05 PM, Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

Lovely to see your fos all together. There's a nice range of sock colours in there, too. Every colour but yellow (I'm not a big fan of yellow to tell the truth).

Love those Dublin Bay Socks, too.

 
At 1/4/08, 7:21 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

OMG, that composite sock photo is a knockout. Hmmmm, even the Prof's size 7 feet tax a skein of STR? At the least, that proves I'm not a total freak always running out of yarn.

Thanks for the New Year's sock knitting cheer me up!

 
At 1/4/08, 8:52 PM, Blogger TheDrollEclectic said...

Congratulations on so many FOs in 2007! What will 2008 be "the year of"?

 
At 1/5/08, 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I love the colors in your socks. I have decided to knit a shawl for my sister's wedding this year. Any suggestions for someone who has yet to knit one?

 
At 1/6/08, 12:31 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

My goodness, that's a lot of beautiful socks! I like the new ones for the professor, too -- I need to try the Dublin Bay pattern again. I tried it with the number of stitches prescribed and the sock came out HUGE.

Happy knitting in 2008!

 
At 1/14/08, 12:56 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

WOW! That's quite an impressive year of FO's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home