Saturday, November 10, 2007

Second skein, first year

Earlier this week I finished my second skein of handspun, but there wasn't enough decent light to take photos of it until today.

ab eg skein
The yarn proved devilishly difficult to photograph. This photo looks a little dark, but it's the closest representation of the yarn's true color—a deep greenish blue. What this shot doesn't capture are the subtle color variations in the yarn. Here's a lighter photo that does show it.

ab eb skein close1
The fiber is Ashland Bay merino top, colorway "English Garden." This skein is 3.25 oz. (92 grams), 2 ply, 16 wpi, 284 yards. It's between fingering and sport weight; that is, some bits are fingering weight, and some bits are sport weight. Yes, I'm still working on my consistency. My second single was quite a bit finer than my first. In fact, it was so much finer that I have an 80 yard mini skein of 2 ply that I made from the leftovers. Still, I'm quite pleased with this yarn! It's so darn pretty.

ab eg skein close2
In non-spinning news, my one year blogiversary came and went on November 7th with very little notice from me. When I started this blog, I mainly intended it as a way to keep a record of my projects. No one could have been more surprised than I when people actually started reading it. I've met so many nice knitters in the past year! As a way of saying "thank you" to all of you who stop by, I'm offering up a little contest.

1 year prize
That's one skein of Lisa Souza Superwash Merino worsted in semi-solid Teal (a huge 8 ounce, 560 yard hank), and one skein of my beloved Fearless Fibers Superwash Merino sock yarn, colorway "Earthenware" (4 ounces, 550 yards). Both of these lovelies can be yours! Just leave a comment on this post by midnight CST on Friday, November 16th. On November 17th I'll select a winner at random. And thanks again to all of you for reading. Mwah!

21 Comments:

At 11/10/07, 2:58 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Lovely handspun yarn! Happy blogiversary, Micki. Thanks for sharing all your inspiring projects with us.

 
At 11/10/07, 3:07 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's not inconsistent thickness, it's "think-n-thin"! :D Very pretty!

 
At 11/10/07, 3:48 PM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Gorgeous handspun! My first thought was that it looks so even, so was surprised to see you write that it's not :) but then I'm not a spinner! Happy blogiversary in any case, and here's to another year of happy knitting and spinning!

 
At 11/10/07, 5:43 PM, Blogger Bea said...

I think your yarn looks great! I couldn't tell they aren't the same thickness and anyway, even if you made one ply finer you can always say you MEANT to do it.

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!

 
At 11/10/07, 6:07 PM, Blogger mle said...

Wow, your handspun looks amazing!
Happy Blogiversary!!

 
At 11/10/07, 7:21 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I'm not a spinner, but honestly, your handspun is absolutely gorgeous. Your obviously a natural.

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY! I'm so glad I found your blog (or did you find mine?)

How fun it will be to see how many blog stalkers the contest will bring out of lurkdom ;-)

 
At 11/10/07, 8:41 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Ooo, purty yarn! I think it looks fantastic! "Inconsistencies" are how we know it's not mass produced; it can be a good thing :)

Happy blogiversary - I can't pass your contest up, as I've never tried Lisa Souza (hinthint, pick me, o random forces of the universe!)

 
At 11/10/07, 8:53 PM, Blogger Alexis said...

Your handspun is lovely!

Happy blogiversary! That's a year well spent.

 
At 11/10/07, 9:07 PM, Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

Oh! I am jealous! I'm even more jealous of your ability to pick up spinning so quickly and with such beautiful results as I am of your access to Fearless Fibres.

Happy Blogiversary! I always enjoy reading your blog and beign inspired by your the wonderful creations. May there be many more years to come!

 
At 11/11/07, 8:35 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Happy blogiversary! The subtle colours in your handspun are lovely, as are those in your prizes!

 
At 11/11/07, 9:22 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Will comment for free yarn!

Happy blogiversary!

 
At 11/11/07, 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your handspun looks better then mine! Congrats on the one year, and it has been nice meeting you as well!

 
At 11/11/07, 2:53 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Happy blogoversary! I feel like a fraud leaving this comment, since I only just traced you today from your comment on my blog -- but nonetheless, who can resist a contest? The handspun is a beautiful color.

 
At 11/11/07, 5:27 PM, Blogger Aisling said...

So you have to bring that handspun to knit night next week so I can see the true color, I may even come by this week before I pick my kids up from my moms it depends on how things go ;)

 
At 11/11/07, 6:54 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

time sure flies by when you're blogging huh?? of course i cannot so no to a contest. happy blogiversary!

 
At 11/12/07, 9:01 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Wow, so handspun looks so impressive. Very evenly spun.

 
At 11/12/07, 1:20 PM, Blogger knottygnome said...

happy blogiversary! wow your handspun looks great. i can't believe you're a beginner.

 
At 11/12/07, 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's your second skein of handspun? Holy crap, it's awesome!

Happy blogiversary! I am spartacus! Oh wait, that probably won't work this time, huh?

 
At 11/13/07, 11:38 AM, Blogger Jeri said...

Happy blogiversary!!
I want to win.
That handspun is beautiful. I saw it at knit night. Micki is truly a natural. My spinning, on the other hand, seems to "soak up" bulky.

 
At 11/16/07, 12:18 PM, Blogger rockbridge said...

your handspun really is beautiful and i think it looks remarkably even, although i kind of like a little bit of "texture"to my yarn. yay for blog contests and lovely yarn giveaways! happy blogiversary!!!

 
At 11/17/07, 6:24 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

You are just a natural at this. Happy Blogiversary!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home