Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Remember this?

I spent much of the weekend finishing up my longest-standing UFO: the Urban Aran. The poor thing has been sitting forlornly in pieces since March. At last, it is complete.

ua done
Pattern: Urban Aran, from the Patons booklet "Street Smart"
Yarn: Elann Peruvian Highland Chunky, "Spiced Wine"
Needles: size 8 (5.00 mm)
Modifications: Like nearly everyone else who makes this pattern, I cardiganized it. I also added a row of crochet slip stitch along each edge of the front opening to make the edges more substantial.

ua model
Unfortunately, it's also too big. Too bloody big. Gauge is such a fickle mistress. I'm not quite sure what happened. I did a gauge swatch. I even washed and blocked the swatch. Everything was good. Originally I started knitting the smallest size, but then I panicked when it seemed too small. Intending to wear this sweater as a jacket, I thought it would be no big deal to go up one size. Lesson learned. Oh well, it isn't unwearable, and this is my first adult sized sweater, after all. I couldn't expect perfection. (However, I did wish for perfection.)

It isn't all bad. My finishing was pretty good, and I'm particularly happy with the zipper installation. It wasn't nearly as painful a process as I was expecting. I just basted the front opening closed, pinned the zipper in place, and then hand sewed along the edge of the zipper tape. Then I ran another line of stitching closer to the zipper teeth on each side.

ua sleeve
That's one project done, but knitting progress elsewhere seems to be eluding me. The Chevron Scarf is only half finished. I only seem to work on it at knit night. I've also started some new socks, but they aren't interesting enough yet for photos.

Next week I'll be in Salt Lake visiting family, so I don't know if I'll be able to make any blogging happen. (There will certainly be lots of knitting, though.) Maybe I'll be able to sneak in one more post before I leave. In the meantime, I'll try to become more interesting.

8 Comments:

At 10/23/07, 5:40 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

It's so gorgeous! I love the color.

Bloody gauge... what a bummer about the size. Well, there's plenty of room for layers underneath.

 
At 10/23/07, 6:26 PM, Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

I am glad you showed the picture of you wearing the sweater. It looks so much better ON. It fits you well and is lovely.

 
At 10/23/07, 9:25 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Too big? Send it to me!!!

It's so beautiful!! I know what you mean about gauge, but it honestly does look beautiful.

 
At 10/23/07, 9:26 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

It's beautifully done! I think it looks good on you.

 
At 10/23/07, 9:27 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

That is one beautiful sweater! :)

 
At 10/23/07, 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks lovely in the heathered yarn and quite cozy! Maybe you could try to shrink it an ooch in the wash? Hmmm, maybe that isn't such a hot idea after all...

 
At 10/24/07, 11:26 AM, Blogger mle said...

Oh I think it looks great on you! Very good job on the finishing too. It will definitely come in handy for all the snow and ice we have here in N. Texas! ;-) lol

 
At 10/24/07, 5:26 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Gorgeous. And it doesn't look all that big, especially if you have to layer under it on your trip.

Swatches lie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home