Friday, September 21, 2007

It is not a house

If you've been a regular visitor for a while, you might remember this photo from last March.

first spinning lesson
That's me at a B&B in Christchurch, New Zealand. The proprietor gave me an impromptu spinning lesson, and I haven't stopped obsessing thinking about it in the six months since. So it is with great pleasure that I introduce the newest member of the family.

lendrum dt
Lendrum double treadle folding wheel

After I came back from New Zealand, I knew I wanted a spinning wheel, so I started to do research. There are a lot of good wheels out there, but it didn't take long for this one in particular to sing its siren call to me. But in an attempt to be practical (ha!), I decided I should wait and get it for my birthday.

My birthday is in November. It is now September. I know, I know, but honestly, it's the Professor's fault! The conversation went something like this:
Me: When I get my wheel, I'll be able to ________. [I don't remember exactly what I said.]
Him: What are you waiting for?
Me: Sorry?
Him: Why are you waiting to buy the wheel?
Me: Um, well, I'm waiting for my birthday.
Him: Why?
Me: [quizzical look]
Him: You already know you want it, so I can't understand why you don't just order it.
Me: Well, it's several hundred dollars.
Him: So?
That was my cue to shut my mouth and run (don't walk) to order the wheel. It arrived on Thursday, and I think I'm in love.

lendrum dt top
I think I have the best husband in the world. However, I'm not sure he would have been so encouraging if he had realized that getting a wheel means that I will be accumulating fiber as well as yarn from now on. Well, he knows now.

Another reason this week was good: look what came in the mail.

from lori
Lori has been giving away books, and I was lucky enough to win the first one she offered up. I'm thrilled—it's the first time I've ever won a blog contest. The book is gorgeous, and the chocolate...well, it's now just a yummy memory. Thanks again, Lori!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play with my wheel.

7 Comments:

At 9/22/07, 7:14 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

What a fabulous addition to your household! That looks like the fun. I'm afraid to try spinning b/c I have no storage room left for my yarn -- I have no idea where I'd keep all the fiber.

 
At 9/22/07, 9:30 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow, if I'd known you were getting a wheel I'd have sent you some fiber! What an awesome early birthday addition :)

 
At 9/22/07, 9:30 AM, Blogger mle said...

Very cool!! your husband is such an enabler! LOL! Have fun, I know what you'll be doing all weekend!

 
At 9/24/07, 4:37 AM, Blogger Angeluna said...

The professor is a GREAT "conversationalist." Congratulations on your new wheel and what will be an overwhelming new passion in your life.

 
At 9/25/07, 1:15 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I am so THRILLED for you!! What a wonderful non-birthday present! I suppose you'll be hinting around towards what fiber he can purchase for you in November.

 
At 9/25/07, 11:55 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

It's a beautiful wheel!

 
At 9/28/07, 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great husband. My husband is almost as good. I say I want to (insert verb here) and he usually support is. Like when he took me to the knitting store because I hadn't been. He also tells me I can buy as much yarn as I want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home