Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Mossy Trellis

Presenting Trellis, looking completely innocent after the button fiasco.

trellis done
Pattern: Trellis by Britta Stolfus Rueschhoff
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish DK, "Moss," 3 skeins
Needles: size 4 (3.50 mm)
Size: 6 month
Modifications: I used DK weight yarn instead of the specified worsted/aran weight. The pattern calls for ⅝" buttons, but I used ¾". It just seemed like the ⅝" buttons would slip too easily through the buttonholes. (It could be that I make unusually spacious yarnovers.)

trellis back close
This little sweater charms me. It looks like something an old man would wear, but in miniature. The pattern is well written, and the chart is easy to memorize. However, this may not be a good pattern for anyone who despises sewing. I don't really mind sewing pieces together, so it was fine for me. If I were going to knit this again, though, I would probably try knitting the body in one piece to the armholes

trellis back
Despite my initial disappointment with this "shades of '70s" green, I do quite like the yarn. It's soft and squishy. Like most yarns, it gets even softer after washing—just the thing for a baby garment. As I've noted before, Swish DK feels a bit heavier than most other DK weight yarns I've used (admittedly, that's not a large number).

trellis front close
Now I just need to box up the sweater and ship it off. I hope the sweater keeps its wearer warm throughout the upstate New York autumn.

My mind is now turning toward holiday knitting. It's time for another non-sock project, I think. I just wound these into balls.

str mw fh wt
Yes, I am no longer a STR virgin, although honestly, I don't know why I've been, um, saving myself. Many of you will be able to guess what I'm making out of this just based on the colorways.

8 Comments:

At 9/12/07, 11:44 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The cables really pop. Maybe that's due to the DK weight yarn?

Methinks you're planning to knit a chevron scarf...

 
At 9/13/07, 12:14 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

It looks like a miniature version of a sweater I saw my college professor wear to class in the winter. Except his wasn't half as nice.

BEAUTIFUL work! Thanks for the warning about the seaming though. It's not that hate seaming, but if I can get around it, I will.

Of course it's for a Chevron scarf and of course it will be amazing!

 
At 9/13/07, 7:44 AM, Blogger mle said...

Oh yeah, Chevron Scarf! I love those colorways together!
Cute baby sweater too.

 
At 9/13/07, 7:57 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9/14/07, 7:06 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sorry for deleting my previous comment! After I entered it I read the answer to my size question in your original post. Thanks!!

P.S. I actually had two berets that I wore regularly last season. But it's not unusual that I'm an oddball.

 
At 9/15/07, 7:52 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Obviously a Chevron Scarf is in the making. They are so much fun. Perhaps you will inspilre me to finish mine. I used STR Heavyweight and went up to a 7 on the needles!!

LOVE the baby sweater. Color and pattern. That is one lucky baby!

 
At 9/16/07, 12:51 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

The sweater is absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

Yep, I suspect a Chevron is in the works. It's a great pattern, easy to memorize and fast, once you get the pattern down. I can't wait to see!

 
At 9/19/07, 9:43 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Trellis is beautiful!!! Thanks for letting us know about the sewing. I don't like to seam, so this might not be a good project for me. But the sweater is so sweet looking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home