Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The bees, they are tipsy

Drunken Bees are finished! Actually, they've been finished for a few days now, but the weather has been too dark and overcast for good photos. Not that today is any less dreary; I've just grown impatient.
ff drunken bees done
Pattern: Drunken Bees by domesticat
Yarn: Fearless Fibers Superwash Merino Sock, "Prosperity"
Needles: size 1 (2.25 mm) DPNs
ff db on
I adore these socks! The pattern is fun and interesting, and the yarn is gorgeous and soft. Really, it doesn't get any better. Here's a closeup of the stitch pattern.
ff db leg close
This is certainly not a mindless knit, although I didn't find it difficult. After completing the leg of the first sock, I didn't need to consult the chart anymore (although I didn't actually abandon the chart until I started on the second sock). Still, there is patterning on every round, so it's important to pay attention. I just love the way the honeycomb cable continues down the heel.
ff db foot side close
I love the "bare bones" way the pattern is written. It's basically a chart with instructions to "do your own thing" for the sock. My version differs slightly from domesticat's in that I chose not to do the 6-stitch partial pattern repeats on the sides of the instep. (Once again, my innate laziness rears its ugly head.) As you can see in the above photo, the transition to stockinette on the instep sides isn't particularly elegant, but it doesn't bother me.

In the past I've gushed about how much I love Fearless Fibers yarn, so I won't yammer on the subject any further here. However, I would like to point out how particularly lovely the yarn looks in the stockinette sections of the sock. "Prosperity" is a lovely shade of greenish-blue, with subtle hints of gray here and there.
ff db model
In non-sock news, I only need to knit one more sleeve for Trellis. Yes there's still seaming and collar knitting after that, but I'm excited about the prospect of having all the pieces finished.

6 Comments:

At 9/5/07, 8:13 AM, Blogger mle said...

wow, I can't believe how fast you knit those! they turned out beautifully!

 
At 9/5/07, 5:10 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Your weather has been too dark and overcast? Let me pull out my violin and play you my sympathy song ... not! ;-) I'll send you some sunshine (but I'm also going to send you some of my heat (hee hee)). Why don't you just send me your finished objects and I'll photograph them for you. No promises on me returning them though.

Your sock looks absolutely amazing and gorgeous and I want them.

 
At 9/6/07, 12:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Your bees are wonderful. I just love that pattern. The yarn's gorgeous, too.

 
At 9/9/07, 9:28 AM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Great socks! I love them. And I like how your yarn choice tames the busyness of the pattern.

 
At 9/9/07, 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty! I'm happy that you and blues worked things out. I also like to gaze at the sole of my socks to admire the gorgeous yarn.

 
At 9/21/07, 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! Those look great. So glad you like them!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home