Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Wicked

I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's simply all about the spinning around here...at least for now. It's useless to fight it. I did knit yesterday, though. Honest. And since I don't feel like hauling the wheel to knit night, I will knit again tonight.

Anyway, the spinning. Here's the latest. It started off as this roving. Then I spun it into these singles.

asu gpb bobbins
And the singles got plied into this yarn. It still seems like magic every time.

asu gpb swirl2
Fiber: 100% merino from All Spun Up (unnamed colorway—I'm calling it "Wicked")
2 ply
121 grams (4.25 oz.)
560 yards

asu gpb strands
There are no problems with the yardage on this one! When I skeined the yarn off the bobbin, it was just over 600 yards. I was so incredulous about that figure that I counted it three times. Since I wanted the yarn to bloom, I abused it a bit during finishing (agitation, hot/cold shocking). I was fairly certain that process would cost me some yardage—which it did—but really, I felt like I had yardage to burn.

asu gpb macro2
About halfway into the first single, it occurred to me that this colorway might lend itself well to Navajo plying, but by that time I was pretty much committed to my original 2 ply plan. Although I still think Navajo plying would have been the way to go, I am quite happy with this result.

asu gpb strands macro
I'll admit, the colors aren't exactly "me," but I'm wild about this yarn.

Confidential to Grace: You're up next.

10 Comments:

At 2/19/08, 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I want a wheel! You've finished tons in the time I have done one. And they are all so pretty!

 
At 2/19/08, 6:24 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Its not my colors either but I can definitely say its lovely.

I'm so happy Grace is up next. I'm bringing some roving this evening!

 
At 2/20/08, 7:23 AM, Blogger bookgrump said...

I'm next???? SQUEEEEEEEE!!! If it turns out as beautiful as everything else you've done, I'll love you forever. (OK... I'll love you forever anyway, but that's TOTALLY beside the point!)

 
At 2/20/08, 8:25 AM, Blogger Aisling said...

that? is gorgeous.

 
At 2/20/08, 12:37 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

I love those colors!! You are a magician with fiber.

 
At 2/21/08, 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's magic because you make the magic!

When are we going to see a knitting project from all your gorgeous handspun yarn?

 
At 2/21/08, 12:37 PM, Blogger Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Nice.

 
At 2/21/08, 4:48 PM, Blogger Edie said...

It's gorgeous darling! (in my best Eva Gabor's accent). I love love love love love it.

 
At 3/1/08, 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your yarn is yummy and so appealing. It is just the kind of yarn I want to knit, but I just refuse to learn to spin. I'd rather pay a small fortune to a spinner and have to joy of just the knitting. But, I do envy you all that beautiful yarn and the time it takes to make it.

 
At 3/5/08, 11:36 AM, Blogger WonderMike said...

Your handspun is BEAUTIFUL. Wow. I can't get over it. Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home