Sunday, January 27, 2008

Time for an intervention

My friends, I think I may need help. I simply cannot stop spinning. When I'm not spinning, I'm thinking about spinning. For the past week I've spent more quality time with my Lendrum than with my husband. This can't go on.

Yesterday around 2:00 pm I finished plying and skeining some yarn. And today just after noon, I had two more bobbins (4 ounces total) ready to be plied. That's officially my fastest spinning to date. This BFL flew through my fingers so quickly that it seemed to spin itself. When it was all over, I just sat there wondering what the hell had happened.

fck an bobbins
But I'm getting ahead of myself. I should show you the finished yarn first, shouldn't I?

asu bgy skein macro
Fiber: 100% merino from All Spun Up
2 ply
17 wpi, heavy fingering weight
109 grams (3.875 oz)
376 yards

asu bgy macro5
Another knittable yarn! If only I would stop spinning so I could knit some of it. This merino from All Spun Up was glorious. (See it in roving form here.) Kristin, the dyer, has amazing color sense. She also spins some killer sock yarns. I've looked through some of the sold items in her Etsy shop, and there isn't a single one of her handspun yarns I wouldn't want to have in my stash. In fact, I do have one in my stash. I use it as inspiration. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to knit with it.

asu bgy strands
I really do need to stop neglecting the knitting, though. There's a pair of socks in the works for the Professor, and I'm sure he's starting to wonder if they'll ever make it all the way to his feet.

asu bgy macro2
Finally, many thanks to both Bea and Jodi for tagging me for the You Make My Day Award. Right back atcha, ladies! However, I am aware that the time-honored rules of tag frown on tag backs.

You+Make+My+Day

So now I have to come up with a list of 10 people whose blogs make my day. It's hard to narrow the list down to 10, but here it is (in no particular order).
  • Kristie at Guilty Pleasures. Kristie knits such lovely things, socks in particular. I consider her a kindred spirit.
  • Emily at MLE Knits. Emily churns out fantastic sweaters, all of them perfect for warmer climates.
  • Angeluna at PurlsBeforeFrogs. I know Angeluna in "real life," and she has become a great friend. We have remarkably similar color sense...well, except for the blue.
  • TECHknitter at TECHknitting. With every post, I learn something new.
  • Deb at Fearless Fibers. Deb produces some of the finest yarns known to knitterkind.
  • Kelly at kelp! knits. Kelly is another amazing sock knitter. The rest of her knitting, sewing, and spinning are pretty awesome too.
  • Lori at From the Wool Room. Lori is an astoundingly prolific knitter and spinner. One day I hope to be like her.
  • Aija at sock prØn. Aija's enthusiasm for knitting, spinning, and all things handmade is contagious. Her Etsy Friday series has not been good for my wallet, though.
  • Oiyi at Oiyi's Crafts. If only I were as crafty as Oiyi! Go check out the photos of her sweet new baby.
  • Grace at Bookgrump. One word: Critters.

15 Comments:

At 1/27/08, 4:16 PM, Blogger Lori said...

No intervention for you! I enjoy your spinning far too much to let you stop! The yarn is gorgeous, by the way.
Thanks so much for the award - you make my day too! I'm always excited to see your name on my Bloglines.

 
At 1/27/08, 5:22 PM, Blogger mle said...

Awww! thanks so much! I really enjoy your blog too! Isn't blogland great...so much inspiration out there. I really don't know what I would do without it!

The handspun is absolutely gorgeous! and, uh, if you ever feel like you have too much of it...you know where to send! I'd be happy to *help* you and your addiction! ;)

 
At 1/27/08, 8:07 PM, Blogger aija said...

Hey, what a nice surprise! I was just going to hit the comment button about your stunning handspun (so fast too!!)... thanks for the nod :)

 
At 1/27/08, 8:20 PM, Blogger LizKnits said...

What beautiful fibers... you've done a great job spinning them up!

 
At 1/27/08, 8:25 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Absolutely gorgeous handspun yarn. You have a real talent for it.

Thank you for tagging me. I am honored.

 
At 1/27/08, 8:41 PM, Blogger Bea said...

So pretty yarn! You asked me if petting roving would make me want to spin, but more likely I will get an urge to do so because of all the pretty yarn you make!

 
At 1/27/08, 9:20 PM, Blogger Knot Knitting said...

I just made my husband come and look at your lovely spinning. It is incredible. We are both wondering what it will knit up like, so get going. Please.

 
At 1/27/08, 10:01 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

I *love* the new yarn! Absolutely gorgeous! I'm sure it will make marvelous socks. You really must knit some. (Is that enough peer pressure for you!)

Thanks for tagging me. I feel so honored! My latest critter isn't behaving, or you'd be seeing another one tonight.

I have to think about who I'm going to tag in return.

 
At 1/28/08, 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way! You are such a sweetheart. I feel exactly the same way about you!

Okay, so maybe it isn't so great that you're spending more time with the fiber than your man, but how can you help it? You most obviously have a talent for this stuff.

By the way, don't worry about doing so much spinning that you don't have time to knit with it. I know just the perfect knitting home you can send it to. ;-)

 
At 1/28/08, 8:35 AM, Blogger Edie said...

Another gorgeous yarn! You'll need to stop spinning long enough to show us what your newly spun yarn looks like knitted up. Way to go! :)

 
At 1/28/08, 11:48 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

Love that yarn!

 
At 1/29/08, 5:07 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your yarn is gorgeous!

 
At 1/29/08, 10:57 PM, Blogger kelp! said...

Awww, thanks, you!

And could that yarn be more perfect? No it could not. Really, that's some stunning, evenly-spun deliciousness.

 
At 1/31/08, 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never, never feel guilty for you picking spinning over knitting. Your handspun yarn is a work of art. And for you knitting, so what if you take two weeks to make a pair of sock instead of your norm of one. I think the Prof will understand.

 
At 2/7/08, 2:18 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I am absolutely in awe of how you even know how to do that! It's beautiful =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home