Saturday, January 19, 2008

Pygmalion

Like the mythical Greek sculptor, I have fallen in love with my own creation. Here is my recipe for happiness: Take these two bobbins...

cm swm bobbins
...and ply them into this.

cm swm plied bobbin
The yarn looks unremarkable enough at this point, but it has secrets hidden beneath that top layer.

cm swm niddy
Those streaks of sunny yellow and orange make me giddy. They're just the thing to brighten up my winter days.

cm swm skein
Fiber: superwash merino from Crazy Monkey, colorway "Autumn Leaves"
2 ply
20 wpi, fine fingering weight
110 grams
510 yards

cm swm strands
The colorway of the roving may have been called "Autumn Leaves," but it reminds me more of fruit punch or those rum swizzles I drank in the Caribbean a few years ago. In any case, it's delicious.

I think I'm in love with spinning superwash merino. It drafts so smoothly that I hardly had to do any predrafting at all. Easy drafting led to rather consistent singles. And for the first time, my singles were very close to the same length.


cm swm close
Best of all, this yarn is sproingy and smooshy (only made-up words can adequately describe it). I am completely amazed at how much bounce it has. It's positively elastic. And the yardage! I can hardly believe I made this. Spinning is awesome.

10 Comments:

At 1/19/08, 4:51 PM, Blogger Alexis said...

Ooh, that's lovely!

 
At 1/19/08, 6:21 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Very very beautiful. I love the hidden sunshine. Are you coming to knitting tomorrow so we can all see?

 
At 1/19/08, 7:24 PM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

SO pretty..I have to stop reading your blog before you completely convince me to start spinning. You make it look like so much fun! If your "newbie" yarn is this gorgeous, just imagine what priceless yarn you'll have with even more experience.

 
At 1/19/08, 8:15 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again. You were born to spin. That is absolutely beautiful and I don't even usually like those colors. Wow!

 
At 1/19/08, 9:20 PM, Blogger aija said...

Wow, just gorgeous!

 
At 1/19/08, 10:10 PM, Blogger Aisling said...

Gorgeous, can't wait to see this one in person!s

 
At 1/20/08, 9:27 AM, Blogger mle said...

Oh my! who wouldn't get weak in the knees looking at those colors!! I LOVE it! what are you going to make with it?

 
At 1/20/08, 2:32 PM, Blogger Jeri said...

Good job, Micki. Luv it.

 
At 1/20/08, 4:22 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

This is luscious. You *are* bringing it on Tuesday, right?

 
At 1/22/08, 9:15 AM, Blogger Edie said...

I love it! It was so gorgeous in person too. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home