Monday, March 17, 2008

A bit o' green

At last, I have proof that I still know how to knit!

mc dlr socks done

Pattern: Double Lace Rib socks (from More Sensational Knitted Socks, by Charlene Schurch), 60 stitches
Yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot, "Juniper"
Needles: 2.25 mm DPNs

mc dlr socks macro2
These socks seemed to be forever in the making. As some of you may recall, I originally started knitting Nutkin in this yarn. Although I love both the pattern and the yarn, the match just was not meant to be. Once I hit upon a stitch count for Nutkin that allowed for the correct amount of stretchiness, the yarn pooled badly. Badly. I know when to give up. Really, I do.

I finally decided that a simpler pattern was called for. Enter my trusty copy of MSKS. This is really just a simple 2x1 rib with yos. It's simple, but pretty. (Ahem, that's "pretty" in a very manly sort of way, of course. These socks are for the Professor, after all.)

And since I can't have a completely spinning-free post these days, here's a bobbin of rainbow singles just waiting to be plied.

aef tf full bobbin
Since I'm planning to Navajo ply, I'm letting this rest for a few days to let the twist energy settle down a bit. My hands don't like to be idle, though, so I may or may not have also started spinning a new yarn. Empty bobbins just look so sad.

4 Comments:

At 3/17/08, 9:52 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Love the socks. Appropriate for today! Can't wait to see what you do with the yarn!

 
At 3/18/08, 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty! What an interesting tip for navajo ply, I'll have to keep it in mind. I only let me singles rest for a day and the energy on them was driving me nuts! ;)

 
At 3/18/08, 5:22 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Lovely socks & the colors are gorgeous. Love the color of your yarn on the bobbin - more socks?

 
At 3/19/08, 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to see you're still up to your beautiful knitting. The professor must have the best sock drawer around. It's hard to sit and knit though while the spinning wheel or empty bobbins are staring at you though.

I just saw a one-minute video today about how to Navajo ply. It's going to come in handy big time for the "crap" I just spun on one bobbin and am not willing to spin up on another bobbin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home