Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Opinions, please

The zippers have arrived, and now I have no excuse for not finishing the Urban Aran. However, I'd like some help in deciding which zipper to use.

Valid arguments can be made for either one. The plastic zipper would be the most invisible, and with this sweater, I think the knitting should be the star. However, the brass zipper helps pick out the yellow fibers in the yarn (difficult to see in these cloudy day indoor photos). Also, the brass zipper would presumably be more durable than the plastic one. (Yes, I'm thinking of Grumperina's semi-recent melting incident.)

I do currently have a preference, but I'd love to have more opinions. Plastic or brass? Discuss.

9 Comments:

At 4/25/07, 5:43 PM, Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

I can't be completely sure without seeing it in person but I reckon the brass. I like the idea of a little flash of shineyness when you zip or unzip.

 
At 4/25/07, 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, tough one. I like the contrast of the metal, but I think I prefer the plastic.

Both match the yarn really well, amazing!

 
At 4/26/07, 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally like the brass, however as you said, the plastic does blend better. I think the brass would be a minor accent for the sweater that would enhance more than detract. I too am amazed at how well the zippers match.

 
At 4/26/07, 4:42 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Lookwise, I personally prefer the plastic. But ... here's a few other things you may want to consider. Which one will last the longest? If one breaks, which one is easier to fix? Will one lay flatter than the other thereby causing less bulging?

I have no idea what the answers are to the questions, I'm just throwing them out there for you to consider.

By the way .. your sweater is gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished!

 
At 4/26/07, 4:57 PM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Definitely the brass. I like the way the metal looks contrasting with the yarn. And it'll be more sturdy. That said, I must
admit that I have this freakish aversion to plastic zippers.

 
At 4/26/07, 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer the plastic, because I think that zippers--especially in the center front--should be as invisible as possible. However, the metal zipper is less likely to get melted or damaged by jamming. Didn't they have any of the old-style metal zippers with colored (probably enameled) metal teeth?

 
At 4/27/07, 9:33 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Plastic

 
At 4/27/07, 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go with brass for sure.
Plastic yeck!!!!
But I must admit the color of the plastic is a better match.
Still Lovin that Lorna's!!!

 
At 10/12/11, 1:05 AM, Anonymous hassam said...

nice nlog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home