Saturday, April 21, 2007

Back to basics

Not surprisingly, being gainfully employed really cuts into one's knitting time. I'm sure it's just a matter of readjusting. After all, I got plenty of knitting and crocheting done while working previous jobs.

Thanks to everyone who left such lovely comments about my Monkey socks! Y'all know how to make someone's day. I'm still completely enamored with them myself, although with the warm weather we've been having in north Texas, I haven't had a chance to wear them yet.

The Professor is up next in the sock rotation, and he expressed a desire for more socks made from the same "really soft yarn" that these socks are made from. So I pulled out a few skeins from my precious Fearless Fibers stash and let him make his choice.

Fearless Fibers superwash merino sock yarn in Midnight Blue

This yarn is so beautiful that it doesn't need a lot of patterning to make it look great. Anyway, that's my excuse for being so uninspired with my pattern selection. These are the garter rib socks from Sensational Knitted Socks. I've made this pattern before. In fact, I used this pattern for the first socks I ever made. That's right, I'm reliving my First Time.

Knitting this pattern again is making me remember all the joy, frustration, and wonder involved I experienced with my first pair of socks. It's all coming back to me: learning how to wrestle with DPNs (which are still my preferred needles for sock knitting), turning a heel for the first time and finding it a revelation, discovering that I love Kitchener stitch, marveling at all the engineering involved with socks. Good times.

I am still planning a lace project too. It may require the purchase of some new needles, though. More swatching is required.

3 Comments:

At 4/21/07, 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the 'simple' projects are the best. That yarn is scrumptious!

 
At 4/21/07, 12:16 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

My guy is up next for socks too! Unfortunately I don't have the Sensational Knitted Socks book (yet), so I'm in search of a basic rib-like pattern. I'm thinking maybe Thuja from knitty.com

That yarn definitely looks yummy!

 
At 4/21/07, 10:08 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Darn work, cutting into your knitting time. I like being busy and being around people, though. Spending a lot of time at home by myself always seems great at first, but eventually I go a bit stir crazy.

Can't wait to see your lace project! The socks are looking great, and that garter rib pattern is nice and easy to knit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home