Thursday, March 27, 2008

Two for one

I've got two finished yarns for show and tell today. Let's start with some good old superwash merino.

se yyz skein
Fiber: Spunky Eclectic superwash merino, "Toronto" colorway
2 ply
420 yards
111 grams

se yyz roving
The fiber seemed to have an alarming amount of white, the full extent of which is not really visible in this photograph. Since I'm generally not a fan of white, I was a bit skeptical about how it would spin up. At the same time, however, I know that those stretches of white tend to look less white in the finished yarn.

se yyz macro
Meh. I don't love it, and I don't despise it. The color sequences ended up being a lot longer than I had anticipated. Even though I did make some attempt at planning how the colors would come together, in the end it was all for naught. There are some particularly long stretches of—you guessed it—white.

Moving on to a yarn that exceeded my expectations in almost every way...

aef tf skein
Fiber: The Arts at Eagle's Find 100% merino, "Tropical Fish" colorway
3 ply (Navajo/chain plied)
500 yards
118 grams

aef tf strands macro
This yarn is just plain fun. Look at those colors! The childlike side of me is clapping with delight. The fiber itself was a joy to spin, and it was really reasonably priced to boot.

aef tf skein macro
This was my first full-skein attempt at Navajo plying, and all in all, it came out quite well. I think it's ever-so-slightly underplied, but not enough to make me want to do anything about it. Interestingly, my natural tendency is to overply conventionally plied yarns. Go figure.

aef tf crazy skein
Final verdict: I love Navajo plying! The process did seem to take forever compared to my normal 2 ply, what with spinning the extra-long single (1500+ yards) and then making the big loops during plying. However, the end result is totally worth it. Yay!

12 Comments:

At 3/27/08, 6:27 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I think they're both gorgeous, and I prefer the Spunky Eclectic. [But that's what makes horse races.]

 
At 3/27/08, 6:36 PM, Blogger Bea said...

I love that top one! Its wonderful, white and all. I think the navajo plyed one turned out really really well. 500 yards??? Wow.

 
At 3/27/08, 6:56 PM, Blogger Ann said...

The navajo ply does look nicer & the twist is tighter which is great for knitting as it does not split. But I like the color of Spunky Eclectic - it's really pretty!

 
At 3/27/08, 7:48 PM, Blogger aija said...

Oh my goodness. Your navajo ply is perfect! I swear I didn't know it was handspun when I scanned the photo before the text-- sounds weird but really, I really love it!

 
At 3/27/08, 8:25 PM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I don't know what most of what you are saying means (I just come to look at the pictures)...but I know pretty yarn! That shore is purty!

 
At 3/28/08, 6:35 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Gorgeous yarns! And your navajo-ply looks great, too!

 
At 3/28/08, 10:11 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

So pretty!! I think you mixed the white in very well. I can't wait to see what you do with my fibers!!!

 
At 3/28/08, 6:07 PM, Blogger mle said...

Oh I love the Toronto colorway! I don't notice the white really, I think it just makes it look lighter overall. And the Tropical Fish yarn looks amazing!! Good job!

 
At 3/29/08, 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if I weren't learning to spin right now, I'd definitely be requesting to take the Spunky Eclectic yarn off your hands. Yummy.

I'm wondering though how many ounces of fiber you used for each. 4 ounces for 2-ply and 8 ounces for Navajo ply? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Any near future plans for knitting up your own handspun?

 
At 3/30/08, 6:55 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Your spinning is just gorgeous -- I'm impressed at how beautifully the navajo plying went!

 
At 3/31/08, 6:19 AM, Blogger Aunt Kathy said...

I like them both. And well spinning baffles me, I'd sure love to learn though if it means getting some great color combinations like these. Very nice.

 
At 4/2/08, 7:32 AM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Gorgeous spinning as usual. My jaw dropped at your navajo ply! It looked flawless to me, so you will have to explain to me about the twist comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home