Monday, April 27, 2009

A bit of randomness

Random tidbit #1:

Have you ever noticed how people who are newly in love delight in telling everyone they know about their newfound happiness? Well, I have a new love.

bmfa s2s pucks skein macro
Fiber: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Sheep 2 Shoe kit (superwash merino), "Puck's Mischief"
3 ply
860 yards
226 grams

bmfa s2s pucks swirls
This may be the dreamiest superwash merino I have ever spun. Seriously. I can hardly describe how smoothly it drafted. The only negative comment I have about the stuff is that when I finished spinning it, I only wanted more. (And as luck would have it, I do have more.)

Random tidbit #2:

A while back Dave posted about some "ugly socks" he was knitting. While I don't think his socks are ugly at all, I do have a contribution of my own to the Ugly Socks Brigade.

rastaflauge socks done
I knitted these from some yarn I dyed nearly two years ago (my first yarn dyeing experience, in fact). My feelings about these socks are so mixed. Since I dyed the yarn myself, I feel a little guilty about calling the socks ugly. And really, I don't really think they're ugly...but nor do I think they're particularly attractive. I like the colors individually. I like the way the short color repeats knitted up. But there's just something not quite right about the overall effect. I can't even begin to articulate why I feel that way, but there it is.

rastaflauge socks heel
When I was trying to figure out what to call these socks, all I could think was "Rastafarian camouflage." It's a bit ridiculous, but henceforth these will be my "Rastaflage" socks.

On the upside, I'm pretty happy with the yarn base (Kraemer Yarns Jeannie). The yarn itself is not overly soft, but the longer I knit, the more I appreciate sturdy sock yarns. Jeannie has lovely stitch definition, and I think it will wear like a champ.

Random tidbit #3:

If I'm in love with BMFA superwash merino, it's fair to say that I have more than a mild crush on Fiber Optic's 80% superwash merino 20% nylon pencil roving.

fo swmn lr swirl1
Colorway: "Lazy River"
3 ply
380 yards
110 grams

fo swmn lr strands
While pencil roving is never going to be my favorite form of fiber to spin, I'll make an exception for this stuff. It's silky smooth, and the colors are intense. And I really love that it has nylon in it. Commercially prepared wool/nylon blends are surprisingly hard to come by, especially dyed ones.

Random tidbit #4:

I'm off this week to visit my BFF in Washington, DC. Well, the main purpose of the visit is to see my friend, but I will admit to scheduling it this weekend so that I could go to Maryland Sheep & Wool. I'm only human, after all, and my friend is extremely understanding and supportive. I may have to knit her some more socks, though.

9 Comments:

At 4/27/09, 8:27 PM, Anonymous Oiyi said...

I am swooning from your new loves! Btw, those socks are not ugly at all.

 
At 4/28/09, 1:24 AM, Anonymous Stephanie said...

Your efforts at turning fiber into something that is yarn again leaves me wanting to spin. Maybe I'll see you at MDS&W

 
At 4/28/09, 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the socks are a little blurry feeling. I'm giggling at the Rastaflage name- it suits!

You're spinning is always so lovely. Ive been eyeing the sheep to shoe kits, and after seeing yours, I'm really, really going to have to get one.

~Liz

 
At 4/28/09, 1:50 PM, Blogger Opal said...

oh lazy river is gorgeous! i've been eyeing her pencil roving lustfully. i might have to break down and just buy some.

have a fantastic time at MDSW. have a funnel cake for me! :D

 
At 4/29/09, 6:21 AM, Blogger Donna said...

As another admirer of FiberOptic's pencil roving, tell me the downside of pencil roving for you - I'm very curious, because it seems more convenient than a full braid to me...

 
At 4/29/09, 7:51 AM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Your Rastaflage really aren't that bad. It seems most people want their hand dyed color to break up like that. For me it's just blurry. Give me good old spirals and pooling and crazy zig-zags any day.

Have fun this week-end. I assume you are taking an empty suitcase? Will be thinking of you.

 
At 4/29/09, 8:45 AM, Blogger Dave said...

1. I'm going to have to try that stuff some day.

2. Not ugly at all! Different strokes, different folks, etc.

3. Totally agree, very nice stuff. I keep stalking hoping for more colours. :-)

4. Kind of jealous. Except for the crowds. Enjoy!

 
At 4/29/09, 10:29 AM, Anonymous Emily said...

Love your spinning!

As for the socks, I've overdyed socks/yarn in the past, when I didn't like the outcome. Just a general colour and you get more tonal effect. Of course, you can just wear these socks in boots and nobody will see! :D

 
At 4/30/09, 7:45 PM, Blogger jen said...

Such beautiful spinning as always... Love the "Puck's Mischief"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home