Monday, June 29, 2009

Flirting with disaster

The universe seems to be throwing things at me lately. Item #1:

storm tree
The tree in our front yard was blown down in a wind storm a couple of weeks ago. I was actually home when it happened, and I didn't hear a thing. I didn't find out about it until the Professor came home later that evening and asked me when it had happened.

storm tree detail
The tree couldn't have fallen down more considerately. It didn't hurt anybody, and it didn't hit the house. Additionally, it stayed out of the street, our driveway, and our neighbors' yard. All in all, the tree showed admirable deportment. The irony is that we had already made arrangements to have it cut down when this happened. I suppose the tree wanted to go out on its own terms.

Item #2: This morning the universe threw me another curve ball. A small truck ran a red light and struck me while I was walking across the street between a parking lot and my office building. I'm fine—rather sore, slightly bruised, and more than a little freaked out, but otherwise I seem to be completely fine.
No one else was injured.

Anyway, now I'm wondering what's next in store for me. Lightning strike? Meteor hit? Locusts? Only time will tell.

12 Comments:

At 6/29/09, 6:46 PM, Blogger Walden said...

I'm glad you are okay.

 
At 6/29/09, 6:58 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Oh no, you poor thing! That must have been terrifying.

 
At 6/30/09, 2:54 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

Glad you're OK and you weren't more seriously injured....

 
At 6/30/09, 10:12 AM, Anonymous oiyi said...

I am relieved to hear that you are okay. That's scary.

 
At 6/30/09, 10:33 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you weren't seriously injured. Getting hti by a truck sounds pretty scary.

Strange how the tree went half one way and half the other way.

Rather than thinking of bad things coming in threes, maybe you have a guardian angel -- or whatever -- looking out for you, because both incidents could have been much worse.

 
At 6/30/09, 9:29 PM, Blogger aija said...

I'm so glad you're okay!! How frightening :(

 
At 6/30/09, 11:07 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

What comes next? A really great haircut! I think we were remarkably restrained for not singing that song, because you really do look "so fine".

(Word verification: rherite - the writer's bane...)

 
At 7/1/09, 11:01 AM, Blogger mle said...

OH my! I'm so glad your okay! nothing makes me angrier than red light runners! okay, maybe drunk drivers. but still!

 
At 7/3/09, 1:00 PM, Blogger Saffron said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7/3/09, 1:01 PM, Blogger Saffron said...

Omigoodness! Glad to hear you're ok!!!

 
At 7/3/09, 7:18 PM, Blogger Opal said...

omg! i'm so glad you're okay! eeeps!

 
At 7/10/09, 10:33 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Good to hear that you are alright!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home