Monday, June 01, 2009

Sucking yardage

It's no secret that I prefer to spin fine yarns, most often fingering weight. Normally I count on getting at least 400 yards out of 4 ounces of wool. Getting that kind of yardage is something I've come to take for granted. Well, I recently went through a period during which I couldn't hit 400 yards to save my life.

asu swm bogy swirl macro
Fiber: All Spun Up merino top
chain ply (Navajo ply)
340 yards
113 grams

sc swbfl carmen skein
Fiber: Sheepish Creations superwash BFL top, "Carmen"
3 ply
376 yards
123 grams

cmf swm gq swirls
Fiber: Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino, "Gypsy Queen"
3 ply
710 yards
226 grams

They're all good yarns, but really, where did my yardage go? I've thought of things I might be doing differently, blamed my wheel, etc. I still can't figure it out. My current theory is that the yardage was sucked into a parallel universe. It could happen.

7 Comments:

At 6/2/09, 8:13 AM, Anonymous Oiyi said...

I am impressed that you normally get 400 yards! So, you can normally hit 400 on 2 ply, 3 ply, and N-ply out of 4oz of fiber? I was so excited when I got 395 on a recent project. But I also had some leftover on one bobbin that would have put me over 400. I am more annoyed at the fact that I always have leftovers on 1 bobbin.

I really like the colors on the 1 and 3rd handspuns. I have been buying way too much orange recently.

 
At 6/2/09, 8:35 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Curious! I wonder if seasonal changes in humidity, etc. affect spinning at all. You never know!

All your spinning looks gorgeous, as always -- esp the skein at the top, which reminds me of goldfish in a blue pond.

 
At 6/2/09, 12:10 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Gorgeous spinning!

I think you should blame the niddy-noddy. :-)

 
At 6/2/09, 1:30 PM, Blogger Walden said...

Well, regardless of the length, they are all beautiful.

 
At 6/2/09, 7:06 PM, Blogger Bea said...

I like your theory. They are beautiful though. I love the Gypsy Queen.

 
At 6/4/09, 7:20 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Your handspun looks so lovely. I will really love to take up spinning but just have to find the time. In the meantime, I have started spindle spinning.

 
At 6/6/09, 1:59 AM, Blogger Opal said...

who cares about yardage? those yarns are so gorgeous, i just want to oooh and aahh over them all day long!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home