Tuesday, September 08, 2009

All about socks

Somehow I never tire of knitting socks. There's just something about them that does it for me as a knitter. Second Sock Syndrome is purely theoretical for me—I know it exists, but I have never experienced it. And I'm utterly enchanted with my latest pair.

asu shur'tugal angle
Pattern: Shur'tugal by Alice Yu
Yarn: my own handspun
Needles: 1.75 mm (US size 00)

asu shur'tugal macro
This is a pattern I undoubtedly will knit again. It isn't completely mindless, but the stitch pattern is easy to memorize. The subtle striping of the handspun yarn doesn't quite do the pattern justice, but I love the overall textural quality of these socks. These socks are for the Professor, but I want a pair for myself too.

Anyway, socks—they have become so integrated into my daily routine that I sometimes forget to document them. One of the things I love about spinning my own sock yarn is that I feel perfectly justified in knitting a lot of plain stockinette socks. Even plainly knitted, socks made from handspun are killer.

fo lr ank socks done
I knit these ankle socks for the Professor while I was out of town last May (great airplane knitting!). He seemed genuinely surprisedand pleasedwhen I came home from my trip with a new pair of socks for him. By the way, he went away on two trips without me this summer, and did he bring home any new socks for me? He did not. But I digress.

Of course, I do knit socks for myself too.

cmf swm sbm socks done
I spun this yarn from Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino ( "Stand by Me"), and it is probably my favorite CMF colorway to date. The only thing about these socks that makes me unhappy is that it will be at least a month before the weather is cool enough for me to wear them.

Finally, I have a pair of socks that I did not even knit.

gold cable socks model
My friend Angele knit these beauties. It seems that I might have admired them a little too warmly, because she ended up giving them to me. I was gobsmacked. Look at all that cabling! And she gave them to me without a second thought! I am unworthy. Did I mention that the yarn has cashmere in it? Swoon.

Thank you again, Angele! For future reference: when I compliment your knitting, I do not expect you to bestow it upon me. I am profoundly appreciative of these socks, though.

7 Comments:

At 9/8/09, 7:48 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Oh wow, just chock full of socky goodness -- love them all! Do you think I could admire and complement you enough on the CMF that you'd give them to me? Didn't think so, but it was worth a try. :-)

 
At 9/8/09, 8:03 PM, Blogger Renee said...

I'm drooling ~ what fantastic socks ~ from homespun no less? Absolutely Wonderful!

Angele must be the most incredible friend, lucky you. :)

 
At 9/8/09, 9:03 PM, Blogger mle said...

WOWEE! too many gorgeous socks! I want your sock drawer. you should show us a pic.

 
At 9/9/09, 4:05 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

what a great way to start the day by looking at your array of saocks in your handspun..... I confess I never have SSS either and most of the time only knit plain socks in commercial self striping yarns....

I haven't tried any of the CMF fibre yet but I will do at some point... but I can highly recommend 'Peregrine' from The YArn Yard (UK) http://theyarnyard.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=61_102

 
At 9/13/09, 12:27 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

I'd like to borrow some of your sock knitting mojo! Gorgeous all around, and hooray for handspun yarn.

 
At 9/28/09, 7:35 PM, Anonymous Oiyi said...

Omg, I love them all!

 
At 9/30/09, 11:19 AM, Blogger knithound brooklyn said...

WOW, what a gorgeous sock collection! And the handspun yarns are to die for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home