Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gray for the boys

Two of my nephews have birthdays in November, and I decided to knit for them both. Nephew 1 turns six this year, and since I made socks for his older sister on her birthday earlier in the year, he gets socks too. (These kids have great taste in socks; they love the hanknitted ones.)

cmf atl socks done2
Yarn: my handspun
Needles: 2.00 mm (US size 0) DPNs
Pattern: 2x2 ribbing with purl ridges

cmf atl socks macro2
Mainly I picked this yarn because it was the most masculine handspun superwash yarn in my stash. Masculine or not, I'm now thinking of making socks for myself out of the other skein of this yarn. I love how it knitted up.

Nephew 2 was born a few days ago, and he's getting this:

owl vest slant2
Pattern: Owl Baby Vest (Rav link), by Jodi Haraldson
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish DK, "Cobblestone Heather"
Needles: 3.5 mm (US size 4) and 3.75 mm (US size 5)

owl vest macro2
This is such a sweet little vest. I've been waiting for an excuse to knit it for quite a while. I did make a few modifications to the pattern...nothing drastic, though. I knit the body over 112 stitches (vs. 110 in the pattern) to make it easy to center the V-neck over the middle owl. Then I knit the V-neck edging in the traditional manner, decreasing one stitch on each side of the V on each round. Finally, I did five rows of 2x2 around the neck and armhole openings.

9 Comments:

At 11/16/09, 6:31 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Such wonderful handknits! I love your little owl vest, and the modifications are awesome! I've been meaning to tweak the pattern so that the center owl lines up better, but somehow it just hasn't happened yet.

Great, subtle but fun socks, too. Lucky boys!

 
At 11/16/09, 6:46 PM, Blogger knithound brooklyn said...

those handspun socks are gorgeous! And I just queued the owl vest this week - what an adorable little pattern. Yours is lovely in that soft gray.

 
At 11/17/09, 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that owl vest, I would wear it.

 
At 11/17/09, 10:33 AM, Blogger mle said...

That owl vest is darling! Lucky boys to have such a wonderful aunt!

 
At 11/18/09, 4:18 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

lovely socks and I don't blame you for knittign the other skein for yourself!

the owl vest is cute...

 
At 11/19/09, 6:06 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I love the owl vest - it's so gorgeous. The socks are lovely & so nicely knitted in your own handspun. The boys are so lucky!

 
At 11/23/09, 4:26 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I love this darling vest - I have a new nephew coming in January - I think he will need one:)

 
At 11/26/09, 4:33 PM, Anonymous Oiyi said...

Nice to see you knit with your handspun. Great socks. Oh my, the vest turned out wonderfully!

 
At 12/12/09, 10:39 PM, Blogger Rene Sharp said...

Wow you knit & spin beautifully!!! Love these socks & the vest is just totally adorable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home