Monday, September 28, 2009

The wheel and the hook

Warning: there are lots of photos to follow. Once again, I am woefully behind.

cmf swm hj swirls
Fiber: Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino, "Hey Jude"
Chain ply (Navajo ply) skein: 438 yards, 114 grams
3 ply skein: 406 yards, 110 grams

Would it be one of my spinning posts if I didn't have some Crown Mountain Farms yarn? Normally I spin CMF colorways as straight 3 ply, but this one had so much contrast that I chain plied the second skein. I like them both!

scf pol kat swirl2
Fiber: Southern Cross Fibre Polwarth, "Katoomba"
Chain ply (Navajo ply)
480 yards, 114 grams

This is the colorway that made me start stalking SCF shop updates. And for anyone who might not have had the pleasure, let me just say that those updates are mad, mad, mad. You try to figure out what you want beforehand (thanks to David's helpful preview photos), but in the end all you can do is throw things in your cart and hope something will still be there when you check out. Madness—but completely worth it. I have been lucky.

asu msb sal swirls
Fiber: All Spun Up 50% merino, 25% silk, 25% bamboo, Aug./Sept. SAL colorway
2 ply
1818 yards, 233 grams

This fiber was delicious, but spinning so much laceweight nearly did me in. I'm thinking of (eventually) knitting this into a Forest Path Stole (Ravelry link), but I'm open to other possibilities. Any suggestions?

itw m bf swirl macro2
Fiber: Into the Whirled merino, "Black Forest Cake"
3 ply
478 yards, 117 grams

Oh my, this spinning experience was total bliss. The wool prep was perfect...amazingly soft too. And those colors! To top it off, Cris's service is second-to-none. I can't recommend her store highly enough.

heritage circle squares
And finally, crochet! I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't crocheted anything in more than three years. My friend recently commissioned a baby blanket, though, so I took the opportunity to dust off my hooks. I'm improvising the design, but it's going well so far. ( I hope I didn't just jinx it.)

8 Comments:

At 9/28/09, 7:34 PM, Anonymous Oiyi said...

Wow, you spin like a machine. They are always so perfect!

I love the crochet squares! So colorful.

 
At 9/28/09, 8:49 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Your spinning is incredible!!

 
At 9/29/09, 11:38 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I kinda like it when you're "woefully behind" because it gives me yet another chance to gasp in amazement, but in multiple doses instead of just once at a time. :-)

 
At 9/30/09, 11:26 AM, Blogger knithound brooklyn said...

Your handspuns are amazing. Thanks for the treat!

 
At 10/3/09, 4:01 PM, Blogger Saffron said...

Your handspun is beautiful! I've seen quite a lot of Crown Mountain Farm handspun lately ... maybe that's a hint. :-) Can't wait to see what those crocheted squares become. :)

 
At 10/7/09, 10:35 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Gorgeous handspun especially the lace yarn. Love the squares. I have also recently learn crochet & am enjoying it.

 
At 11/1/09, 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning handspun. Looked through several posts and all your handspun is fantastic. Makes me want to find time for some spinning tonight although I've got urgent knitting deadlines.

 
At 1/11/10, 10:42 AM, Blogger Jeremithestudier said...

Polka dots are great.
We still have a sock that you gave us for Christmas and filled with candies. Every year when I putting it on our tree thinking of you guys ;)
Iwona and Arek B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home