Saturday, April 19, 2008

Finishing what I've started

My knitting has slowed down so much of late that it feels like a momentous occasion when I actually have some finished knitting to show.

rs anastasia done
Pattern: Anastasia from Pepperknit
Yarn: RubySapphire Treadsoft sock yarn (100% superwash merino), "Kira" colorway
Needles: 2.00 mm (US size 0) DPNs
Modifications: worked top down rather than toe up, added eye of partridge heel

rs anastasia heel
This is actually the second time I've knit this pattern. It's really great for busy yarns, and yet it isn't as monotonous as plain stockinette or ribbing. And just look at that eye of partridge goodness! It makes me smile just looking at it.

Best of all, having these finished means my niece will get her birthday present on time. I'm also sending her a couple of books. Hmm, socks and books—surely those will secure my position as "favorite aunt" (ahem).

Of course, I am still spinning like a madwoman.

asu bbg skein macro
Fiber: 70% superwash merino, 30% alpaca from All Spun Up
2 ply
250 yards
116 grams

asu bbg braid
This fiber was really lovely to spin. It's a heathered gray base overdyed with shades of blue, teal, and brown. The finished yarn has amazing depth of color.

asu bbg strands macro
In the interest of honing my spinning skills, I've been attempting to spin a bit thicker lately. Before now, I had been in a bit of a fingering weight rut. Although fingering weight is still my favorite to spin, I am over-the-moon happy with this.

asu bbg swirl2
Mmm, blue and brown are such great partners.

12 Comments:

At 4/19/08, 4:43 PM, Blogger Bea said...

The socks look great! More brown fiber...It looks wonderful.

 
At 4/19/08, 5:42 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

The socks are beautiful, but the yarn... Very, very nice indeed! If you get tired of it... Well, you know... I'd be happy to "store" it for you! :D

 
At 4/19/08, 8:57 PM, Blogger aija said...

I love how your yarn looks so round, even for a 2-ply. Beautiful!

 
At 4/19/08, 10:13 PM, Blogger Ann said...

The socks are so lovely & I love the heel too - it's my favorite. Love the color of your handspun - it's a great mix of my fav colors.

 
At 4/20/08, 8:39 AM, Blogger mle said...

The socks are so fun! I'm sure your niece will love them.
Girl, you sure do have the collection of handspun yarn now!! I want to see some of it knit up! I'm imagining the most gorgeous pair of mittens with that blue/brown coloway. :)

 
At 4/20/08, 8:58 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I really like the effect of over-dyeing a colored wool. Will have to keep that trick in mind.

 
At 4/20/08, 12:50 PM, Blogger LizKnits said...

Love that heel .. those colors really pop!

 
At 4/20/08, 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a cute sock! the pattern really does complement the yarn, er, or vice-versa. ;)

 
At 4/21/08, 10:24 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

The heel of the sock is so pretty. Your spinning is so even. Great new color.

 
At 4/27/08, 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog for the first time and have to say I'm digging what I'm seeing. Great job, especially, on the spinning. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 4/28/08, 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two beautiful projects in one post! I may have to use that pattern for some of my "busier" yarns. It's always so difficult to find a pattern for them.

Of course I LUV the yarn you spun. The colors work beautifully together and I'm so happy you love the finished yarn too. I've so missed spinning while on vacation. I can't wait to get back to it.

 
At 5/2/08, 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great anastasias!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home