Friday, May 25, 2007

Catching up

Wow, I haven't had the chance to blog all week. The Professor has a looming grant deadline, so I've had to put up with him having an umbilical connection to the computer. (We are temporarily a one computer household.)

I finished up two projects last weekend. The first one I've shown before, but it required blocking. Here is the Falling Water scarf in all its glory.

Pattern: Falling Water
Yarn: Knit Picks Shadow, "Lost Lake" (less than one skein)
Needles: size 2 (2.75 mm) DPNs (because that's what I had)

I love blocking wires! The edges of this scarf are so straight and lovely. Threading the wires through the edges is a bit tedious, but no more so than using 102,000 pins.

The pattern is beautiful and easy to memorize. It's a great first lace project for anyone. And I'm pleasantly surprised by the yarn. It's a fantastic value—good quality, great colors, and a low price. Score!

Although I normally make scarves too long, this one came out almost too short. (It's short because I couldn't stand to knit it any longer than I did.) I think I like it that way, though. Really, this scarf isn't meant to keep anyone warm. It's just long enough to drape over the shoulders. Fetchingly throwing one end over the shoulder works well too.

Next up are my finished Jaywalkers.

Pattern: Jaywalkers, by Grumperina
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, "Gold Hill"
Needles: size 1 (2.50 mm) DPNs

Since this is such a popular pattern, I'll admit I had high expectations. Maybe that's why I'm slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong; I like the pattern. It just doesn't wow me. I'm not sure I would make these again, at least not for myself.

The yarn did wow me, though. I'm now officially a Shepherd Sock fan, although I think I'll end up using more of their "nearly solids" than their hand painted colorways. In fact, I've already bought enough for two more pairs of socks that are in the immediate sock queue. One pair will be for my Sockapalooza 4 sock pal, and the other will be for a pair my mom recently commissioned.

I have cast on a new pair of socks and a new lace project. Additionally, I've joined not one, but two knitting groups. I'll wait a day or two before going into any further detail, though. After all, I don't want to burn through all my knitting news in one post.

2 Comments:

At 5/27/07, 5:18 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Two great projects in one post! That scarf is just too beautiful. Really! I do like your socks also, but did you not like the pattern because there's really no "stretch" to the socks? I made the pattern twice and disliked them the first time, but I enjoyed them the second time around. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm?

 
At 5/28/07, 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe how well your Jaywalkers turned out with the LL - no pooling at all! I'm totally jealous.

Your scarf is lovely, too. What a great (and cheap) one skein project.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home