Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Dear weather gods,

Please make it stop raining. Perhaps you're a bit confused, so let me fill you in: this is northern Texas, not Seattle. Sending rain here every day for a month makes the residents begin to act strangely. Besides, the low light is doing nothing for my photos.

Yarn: Regia Line Steps, color 5367
Pattern: I winged it
Needles: size 0 (2.00 mm) DPNs

The Professor asked for some "low socks," and these are what he got. It almost looks like I tried to match stripes with these, but I didn't. (Believe me, if I had tried to make them match, they would match.) Obviously I knit these in about half the time it normally takes me to make a pair of socks. The Professor thinks he's now entitled to twice as many socks, as long as they're short socks. While I'm thrilled he likes the handknits so much, I do need to readjust his expectations.

I also cast on my first big lace project. It's the ubiquitous Print O' The Wave stole from Eunny Jang.

The yarn is Fearless Fibers laceweight merino in the Notorious colorway. My friends, this yarn is so soft. I actually stop every couple of rows to pet the fabric (and maybe rub my face in it). The color variations are lovely, but they're subtle enough not to detract from the lace pattern. Perfection!

On a completely unrelated note, I'm pleased to report that I have finally made contact with Texas knitters. Real live ones! One of my coworkers is a serious knitter, and when we discovered our common obsession interest, she invited me to join a local knitting group. I'm so excited about this! The group is quite large and enthusiastic. It probably won't take long for me to abandon my natural shyness around them.

As if that weren't great enough, it turns out that there's a weekly lunchtime knitting group at my office. I nearly fainted when I found out. Going back to work has turned out to be good for my knitting after all.

7 Comments:

At 5/29/07, 10:21 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Woo hoo! Knitting coworkers AND a knitting group?!? Excellent developments. The short socks look quite nice, and they're perfect for warmer weather.

Print O' the Wave is looking gorgeous. BTW, you're the clear winner in the blocking wars.

 
At 5/30/07, 1:32 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

My DH wants some "low socks" too. I'm terribly afraid to "wing it", but maybe I'll go for it after all. what's the worse that could happen? (don't answer that)

You picked the absolutely perfect yarn for that pattern. GORGEOUS!

Congrats on finding Texas knitters. I've only found one knitting friend in my area, but I'll take one over none any day!

 
At 5/30/07, 8:24 AM, Blogger knottygnome said...

the stole is lovely. i really want to make that pattern. someday.

 
At 5/31/07, 9:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so envious of your having knitting co-workers. Wow! That would get me out of bed with a smile.

Love the footlets and your Print O' the Wave. It's a pattern I've been wanting to use some Sea Silk for, but I find the border intimidating. I've done lace, but not with borders. I'll be watching! :)

 
At 5/31/07, 9:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

P.S. -- After more than a year of contemplating, I decided to start a knitting blog. How in the world do people learn that you exist? I read so many wonderful blogs, which are read by so many knitters. But I'm not sure how y'all found each other.

 
At 5/31/07, 12:38 PM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Ha! That Mr. Prof of yours is a prof for a reason - he's a clever one, what with wanting double the socks! :)

And that lacy stole looks divine.

 
At 6/1/07, 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I almost prefer the constant rain (it was very wet in Houston, too) to the incessant HEAT and humidity. You knit with the best yarns, I'm loving the color of that Fearless Fibers yarn.

And yay for local knitters!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home